Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:14 PM   #1

just a few questions, what is the difference between CCD and CMOS for image quality? Which is better and recommended?
blackdragonconqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2

Depends on what range in price you're talking about for both.

Most webcams are CMOS, most digicams are CCD...there are high end CMOS digicams but you can't compare them with the cheap CMOS imagers in webcams.

You'll have to qualify your question a bit.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 2:55 PM   #3

here it is:

1. which one provides better picture quality?

2. what re the pros and cons on each

3. which one is highly recommended
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:01 PM   #4
Administrator

Avoiddigital cameras selling for less than $1,000.00 with CMOS Sensors, with the exception of the Canon Digital Rebel (EOS-300D), which uses the same CMOS Sensor as the EOS-10D.

In lower priced digital cameras, small CMOS sensors are often used, because they are less expensive to manufacturer. Their image quality is usually very poor compared to CCD Equipped models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 3:36 PM   #5

thanks for the help, appreciate it...
Old Jul 12, 2004, 7:44 AM   #6

CCDs have been used in video cameras for some time. Sony is the prime manufacturer. They're expensive and complicated to make and tend to use a lot of power, but they tend to give good quality with low noise. CMOS has been around a long time but has only relatively recently been used in digital cameras. It's cheap to make and very low on power consumption but has higher inherent noise.

So, very cheap cameras where quality isn't paramount will use CMOS. Most of the consumer market digital cameras use CCDs at the moment. The small sensor on these cameras means that noise levelswill tend to be high anyway and you need the best sensor you can get. BUT... Canonare successfully using CMOS on their DSLRs. These use a relatively large sensor (24mm, rather than the 6.6mm or 8.8mm ofmost digitals) so the noise problem is less of an issue. Also development of any technology leads to improvements. Canon don't (yet) use CMOS for theirconsumer cameras.

Which is better? I don't know. Both can be made to work at more than acceptable levels in the right camera.Which will win the battle will probably be determined by who's best at marketing - or maybe a whole new technology will come along and blow them both way.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:23 AM   #7

All about noise... The Canon Digic processor is responsible also for the noise reduction, but what about colours?
I still wait the price for the Canon 300D to drop a little in Europe, after the 100euro leap-up last month, so in all this time I ask around about the CMOS - CCD differences. They tell all about the CCD hardware interpolation to compose the actual pixel colour, the CCD matrix models, but I found nothing about the CMOS, it's RGBR, RGBG, etc. or it is something else. I found something about a Sigma matrix technology, a sell-by 10M pixels, but actually a 3Mp camera composing a three layer RGB sensor. Is this CMOS or CCD? Anyway, can anyone direct me to a site about CMOS technology used for camera sensors? All my past searches (1 year ago) resumes to the simple: CCD-good, CMOS-bad, huh.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:42 AM   #8
Administrator

Forum Poster Mikefelh posted a link to this site in another post a while back. It has a lot of information about digital cameras, including this section on CMOS vs. CCD.

http://209.196.177.41/01/01-04.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:35 AM   #9

Not exactly what I was hoped for, but many thanks, a lot of answers for everybody in other areas of digital photography.
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:05 AM   #10

I was in the same boat as you a little over 2 years ago. At that time, I assumed CMOS was bad as it was most prevalents in VGA kid cameras. All the great cameras back then had CCDs.

However, since I bought the Digital Rebel, I have reassessed my opinions on the values of CMOS sensors as opposed to CCD sensors. Canon's advancements in CMOS technology does mean that it takes awesome photos. Because it cost less to make does not mean it is lesser in quality in its output. Here are some of the pros with CMOS sensors:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/imaging/camera.htm

CCDs will disappear over time due to their great expense in manufacturing, and as their advantages are diminished, so will their market hold. Just my opinion.

Anyhow, take a look at this site reviewing Kodaks 14n. This section talks about the CMOS sensor, and also compares it to the Canon EOS 1D.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...6131-6139-6149

Likewise, what your describing with the Sigma is called "Foveon". Here is their web site for you.

http://www.foveon.com/

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote