Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:28 PM   #1

I'm about to buy one of those cameras. I've read zilion pages about both of them. they are both O.K. BUT WHICH IS BETER?!!! Help me please.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Is shooting in bad, dim light really so bad with Canon?
winetou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:37 PM   #2

My choice would be the Canon S1 IS, because it has Image Stabilization.

I have an Olympus C2100UZ : it has image stabilization and now I don't want any camera that doesn't have it.
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 8:43 PM   #3

winetou wrote:
Quote:
Is shooting in bad, dim light really so bad with Canon?

Shooting in bad/dim light is better with the Canon. It is f3.1 at full zoom compared to f3.8 and has stabilization. Stabilization is not only great for shots with full telephoto, but let you handhold to amazing shutter speeds at wider angles. It doesn't help for subject motion though.

I'm with Herb. I have a FZ10 and won't have another large camera without stabilization. It gives you the ability to handhold in a lot more situations.

3Mp can be limiting if you plan to get a wide format photo printer. The 4Mp on my FZ10 is limiting and 3Mp would be unacceptable for large prints. Otherwise I think the S1 is the better camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 4:52 AM   #4

I have very bad experiences with dim light shooting and the Canon S1 IS. Getting pictures of non-moving objects sharp lets say at ISO 200 or 400, f=2.8 and 1/30 was a nightmare.

With the Oly 770 I can go in a almost dark room, point and shoot sharp pics AS LONG as I stay in wide mode (no zoom). The more I try to zoom the harder it is for the AF.

Maybe it's just me, but that didn't worked with Canon

As for image stabilisation. I thought that would be a big problem but I have a workaround. I configured a "my mode" with the "super zoom" (14x at 1600x1200) and super fast continuous shot (5 pics in a second or so).

Aim, AF, click-click-click-click-click and delete the blurry ones. Done.

IS part two: eats even more batteries. And the Canon S1 IS eats batteries like childs candy. Really annoying. Battery on the Oly 770 lasts 1,5-2 hours on heavy-duty sessions (1090 mAh). Canon S1 IS couldn't do that with 4 x 2100 rechargeables...

3mp vs 4mp is not worth the discussion. The Canon produced very good pictures in bright light and I was able to do some good prints up to A4 with myCanon i560 printer. I have the feeling that the Oly does better in high contrast pics and the pics are a tad "sharper" than the Canon's, but this is configuration stuff I guess.

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 7:46 AM   #5

If you can wait a little, the new Minolta Z3 looks very cool. 4 MP, 12x (35 - 420mm) lens, hot shoe (which makes the S1 a non starter for me). It also has the Anti shake image stabilization like the A1/A2.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...004_z3_pr.html
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 12:18 PM   #6

I was thinking about Z3, but unfortunatelly, I need the camera sooner while going to Athens. I thank You all for your sugestions. I'm closer to S1. Haven't bought it yet, so any comments are stil wellcome.
winetou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:37 PM   #7

winetou wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking about Z3, but unfortunatelly, I need the camera sooner while going to Athens.* I thank You all for your sugestions.
You should give yourself some time BEFORE you leave on vacation (at least a month) to get used to the camera...if you buy a camera just before you leave on vacation you'll be spending your vacation flipping through manuals (but you should NEVER buy a camera just before leaving as you may get a defective one (it does happen), or you will be taking awful pictures because you're not used to the camera).

One thing you may want to do if you are on short notice is download the manuals for the camera you intend to buy in advance and flip through them already.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:32 AM   #8

I recently bought the S1 IS after comparing it to this and other olympus models. One thing that influenced my decision was that the Canon can take microdrives (512MB xd: $160, 4GB cf: $250) and AA batteries (because I already have lots of them).

I like it a lot, but the AF in dim light is lacking. It can, however, easily be worked around using the manual focus. It is easy to learn and use, though it does take a couple more seconds to compose a dim photo. It is a nuisance, but not a deal-breaker to me.
jschaefer is offline   Reply With Quote