Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2004, 4:46 AM   #1

Hi, I'm in the market for a digital camera -- my first. I'm looking for something that won't cost me more than $500, will have very good zoom capabilities, will give clear pictures andvibrant color, can be used indoors or out, to take great pictures of people, interiors, flowers -- all that stuff -- and is easy to use. I'd like to be able to print from the images.

I was reading Steve's review of the KODAK EASYSHARE DX7440 and some of the drawbacks seem pretty serious, though so do some of the positive attributes. I'm not sure how important those drawbacks will be to me, and there are just too many cameras to choose from, from the POV of someone who knows almost nothing about digital cameras.

Can anyone give me a small group of camera models to look into?

FractalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:39 PM   #2

I cant give you a list of cameras to look into, just look around this site and do some comparison between the models that meet your needs. I just wanted to give a warning...

When looking into a lot of zoom, make sure it is OPTICAL zoom and not digital zoom. Optical zoom changes the actual focal length of the lens whereas digital zoom normally just crops the edges of the original to get a "bigger" picture... So when deciding, be sure to check that, some cameras dont distinguish between the two, they just say 56x total zoom or something,so you will have to read carefully...

Hope everything goes well...
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:21 AM   #3

FractalGirl,

I've been reviewing cameras thoroughly for 3 days now and I it's down to the A75, A80, and the Kodak DX7440. Where is this review you mention of the Kodak DX7440 by Steve? I'd very much like to see that or any professional in-depth review of this camera.

Anyone can point me to the review? It doesn't come up on a search on the main site.

Recurved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:25 AM   #4

It's not in the main reviews list...

*shrug*
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:30 AM   #5

I think the Minolta Z2 would fit your needs! Check it out!
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:35 AM   #6

The Minolta Z3 is on it's way with 12x zoom and Anti Shake. Have a look. :-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...004_z3_pr.html

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...-z3/index.html
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:55 AM   #7
VC

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
The Minolta Z3 is on it's way with 12x zoom and Anti Shake. Have a look. :-)

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...004_z3_pr.html

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...-z3/index.html

...and if you're in the market for a 12x zoom with anti-shake, also check out the Panasonic FZ10.

VC
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:01 PM   #8

Hi

Been doing some research for the same type of camera that you're looking for, and am going to buy a Kyocera M410R next week. It seems to be the best at the moment, but I dare say others might disagree

Happy Hunting, Steve :|
StevePn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:10 PM   #9

Thank you all so much for your feedback on this. Ironically, though, I went to Costco and saw the Kodak DX6490 with a camera dock included for $419 and I went for it. Also, they had SD 256 meg cards for $57before a $10 off coupon at the register, $5 rebate and a coupon for free prints of digital images from their photo section.

I cannot remember where the review I saw that Steve wrote was, unfortunately. At that time I was looking at so many sites and so many pages, and I didn't bookmark them all.

The good thing about Costco is that if I hate the camera, they'll take it back for up to 6 months, so how can you go wrong? I'm on a fixed income so that sort of thing is important to me.

Given that I'm a neophyte with digital cameras, I'll just have to figure it all out, but at this point, I'm having a hard time transferring the pics from the doc to the computer. It appears as if it's doing something, but then... nothing.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your attentiveness. What a friendly, helpful group you are.

Tina
FractalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote