Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:22 PM   #1

I didn't read the directions with my new Canon s500. I just dragged the photos from the card to my desktop (wrong thing to do). I use a mac, OS 9. I get garbage when I try to open the files with photoshop 7. I can see the image in the thumbnail. The file has an appropriate size, but I can't get any good images when I try to open them. I've tried graphic converter, photoshop 7 (jpeg and raw), Photo Rescue - all to no avail.

I've since read the directions and use the transfer utility that canon provided and the camera works fine.

These are some once in a lifetime shots that I'd love to recover. Any thoughts?
emanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:38 PM   #2
Administrator

If you have already tried PhotoRescue and it was unable to recover the images then I am afraid that they are probably gone forever. It is never a good idea to drag-n-drop (move) files from a camera to computer, be it Windows or Mac OS. If your computers sees the camera as a removable drive then COPY the files to the hard drive -- only erase them or format the card when it is in the camera. Digicams all use the standard FAT file system and when you drag-n-drop or Move files the computer's operating system will attempt to delete the files after moving them nad this can often cause problems.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:14 AM   #3

If you still have some problems you can EMail me one of your samples if you like. I can check and see if I can restore the JPEG structure. Can't promise anything, but loosing an important image is the worst (in the digital world) I can imagine. You have my full support.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:19 AM   #4

You need PC Inspector Smart Recovery. It is designed to specifically recover deleted photos from memory cards, as long as the havent been overwritten.

Its free and you can get it at....

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...y/uk/demo.html

or

http://www.pcinspector.de/download.htm#smart_recovery
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 2:32 PM   #5

Hello,

Thank you for your generous offer to take a look at a file. I don't know if you're a cycling fan or not but these are photos from the Tour de Georgia, the bigget stage race to hit the U.S. in quite a while. I've attached a photo that should be Lance Armstron, Jenz Voight & Chris Horner heading a pretty nasty climb.

I'll be interested to know your success!
emanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:01 PM   #6

Maybe you can pass on a link where this picture is? Didn't received anything by mail attachment.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote