Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2002, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Remote controls for Digital cameras??

Hey All,

I am new to this board, but was wondering if any of you have experimented with remote controls?? I think it would be fairly easy to connect some sort of transmitter/ receiver that would transmit a signal to take a photo. It then would be easy to set a camera up near a photo subject and snap away from a distance.

It would be nice to see camera companies make a port available to accomplish this.

Any comments?? I own a Olympus C-2100. Seems a natural for this particular camera.

Tim
Tim-in-Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2002, 12:44 AM   #2

Many of the companies are coming up lately with cameras that feature a remote control as a standard accessory, like the c-2100 that you own,
I assume it would be not easy to design a transmitting device that accepts signals from a remote control, because the problem would arise as to how the contact be made with the camera that releases the shutter,
It would be convenient only if the device is built-in the camera,
ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 6:42 AM   #3
NHL

The Canon's does all that:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2982

I believe you can buy a wireless remote as well for thoses cameras.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 7:06 AM   #4

Default Remote for 2100

You can purchase the RM1 remote control for your camera from Olympus. The RM1 is the standard remote on Olympus C series cameras. The cost is $04 and you can purchase on Ebay for less.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 9:46 AM   #5

I already have the infrared remote for C-2100. I was refering to some sort of transmitter receiver that could work up to say 100ft. It would also be important that the shutter release would be in real time, not after two, or three seconds.

I do a lot of nature photography and it would be nice to set the camera up where I could shoot a designated area up close, such as a bird house when the babies fledge.

Tim
Tim-in-Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2002, 11:18 AM   #6
NHL

Tim-in-Indiana

You can get an IR to RF converter pairs at Radio Shack. It's range is more than 100ft an goes through walls as well (it's kind of pyramid shape). It works by converting the IR signals from the remote to RF and send them to a base unit in the basement that translate them back to IR to control your audio/video systems (or camera). Sorry can't fix your camera 2-3s delay though...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 10:29 AM   #7
lg

Default Digicam software

Check out the section on Camera control software located under the Digicam software section of Steve's board. I saw some USB software that I might like to try out there for my C-2100, and it may be helpful in your quest.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote