Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:47 AM   #1
Administrator

Don't you hate it, when a manufacturer's advertising and specs are "stretching the truth" (are at best, misleading to the consumer).

A few of my favorites are the claims concerning USB Speed (most of these are recent), print sizes from cameras, and digital zoom.

I'm sure others can add to the list. Quotes from manufacturers about theircamera models (I left out the manuacturers names to be polite):

"USB: Full-Speed 12 Mbps data transfer with a USB2.0 compatible computer"

Hah. USB 2.0 is 480Mbps. USB 1.1 is 12 Mbps. Sure, you'll get full USB 1.1 speed when you use a USB 2.0 compatible computer (since USB 1.1 devices are compatible with USB 2.0 hosts, but at theUSB 1.1 speed).

Of course, even thisis "stretching the truth" (I'm being polite), since you usually don't get the full USB 1.1 data transfer rate.

Why can't they just say USB 1.1?

"4 megapixel (MP) resolution that results in sharp, striking prints up to 20 x 30 inches"

Of course, this is only one example.Many other press releases and advertisements include the words "Photo Quality". Has anyone noticed that some manufacturers are getting pretty bold with their print size claims?

Sure, you can do it. However, how much detail are you going to get, and will you see lots of pixelation?

Just to get prints up to 150 Pixels Per Inch at a 20" x30" print size, you'd need an image size of 3000 x 4500 Pixels.

Of course, we all know you can interpolate the image with software to prevent pixelation (and sometimes, processors do this for you when ordering "poster size" prints). However, this does not increase the detail captured.

I can imagine that most unprocessed images from a 4MP Consumer Camera, would look pretty ugly at 20"x 30". The words "Sharp and Striking" (manufacaturer's claim) don't come to mind.

"Incredible 48x Total Zoom Range"

This one is from a press release. It does go on to let you know that it's based on 12x Optical Zoom + 4x Digital Zoom. However, it says nothing about Digital Zoom Degrading quality.

The last sentence in the describing paragraph ends this way: "With the digital zoom, total zoom is equivalent to 35-1680mm (35mm equivalent).

Now, if I were a "newbie", looking for a camera, would I know that it was not REALLY 35mm Equivalent (the resulting image may be the same SIZE as you get using a Longer Focal Length Lens on a 35mm Camera, but the quality sure isn't).

As we all know, Digital Zoom is simply cropping an image, then interpolating it back up to the original resolution. This degrades photo quality rapidly as more Digital Zoom is used.

Even Sony's new "Smart Digital Zoom", is just just cropping the image (it just skips the interpolation step, which is why only lower resolution photos are available when you use it).

There should be a warning (like cigarette truth in advertising labels), letting users know that Digital Zoom will degrade quality.

Ok guys, add your favorite, misleading manufacturer's claims (or other "Pet Peeves", if it's something else) to the list. Thesewere just a few of mine.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2

JimC wrote:
There should be a warning (like cigarette truth in advertising labels), letting users know that Digital Zoom will degrade quality.
[/quote]
LOL! :lol:

Digital zoom really bothers me, too. My camera's digital zoom only enlarges 2x on top of the optical, but it's still useless. I wish the camera didn't say 10x on it.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 2:09 PM   #3

That's marketing speak. It's what keeps the world's economy turning over - and the makers of digital widgets and cell phones in business.

Trouble is, when you're old enough to have finally thrown away your rose-coloured specs, everyone thinks you're a curmudgeonly old cynic because you don't share their illusions. Like:

- you can take great hand-held shots in near-darkness with a 10X zoom at full tele.
- everything you need to become a successful photographer is in the camera box (like the alkaline batteries and the 16Mb media card)
- the camera maker doesn't include a charger in order "to give you the benefit of choosing one that best suits your requirements" (or a case!)
- the built-in flash on your camera will take great photos of a cathedral in the dark (inside or out)
- the camera that's small enough to slip into your shirt pocket won't fall out into a puddle the first time you bend over
-the gleamingnew camera you bought from that really helpful camera shop hasn't already been used - and rejected - by two or three other "owners"
- the fact that your camera has no hot pixels means that it won't have any hot pixels
- a 38mm-equivalent focal length is W I D E angle...
- your latest and greatest digital widget will last you for ...well YEARS!

Enough, or folks might think I'm one of those cynical old....

fenlander

BTW, my 20year old SLR is still a thing of beauty. My 2 year old digicam is....obsolete.

fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:35 PM   #4

lol, mine's two years old, but not obselete.....ok fine, it is....but it's the photographer behind the camera that counts!

lol

i got one

my camera, not letting my use f2.0 and 1/1000 shutter....i have to have it on f8 to go up that fast......frustrating to say the least,

aaaand....i can't change how bright the flash is, in full manual mode, only in TV AV and P....

ok..that's all

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:25 PM   #5

i hate when i see an ad that says:

DSLR-like
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:30 PM   #6

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

either it's an slr or it isn't there isn't an "almost" slr!

lol lol lol lol lol !

Vito
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:32 PM   #7

thats what im saying lol

iwas at an out-doorsman/hunting show last year and there were some people selling sun galsses and the boxes on display looked like this:

modeled after

MOSSY-OAK!!!

with mossy oak or some othe expensive brand in bright red

btw, vito are you back from vacation, or did you find an internet hotspot, or a libray or something

Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:37 PM   #8

yep i'm back....for a couple days, then i'm going again....

Vito
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:53 PM   #9

[sarcasm]that makes a lot of sense[/sarcasm]

Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:55 PM   #10

lol....i'm not going to the same spot...i'm going on a seperate vacation..lol

Vito