Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Len

Just purchased Nikon D70 with kit 18 - 70 mm kit lens. I mounted the lens in a closed darkroom with door shut for some time. If I start out with none or insignificant amount of dust in sensor area and do not change lenses, will dust remain a non-issue?:-)
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:30 PM   #2

Dust will be less of an issue. The lens connections are not airtight and dust will eventually collect on the sensor.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 5:07 PM   #3
Len

Thanks for your reply. Pretty much what I guessed.
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:10 PM   #4

i think some pro dslrs have rubber enviormental seals on the lens "thingy" to prevent dust and water from getting in
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5

Not everything is perfect. Even environmentally sealed bodies and lenses have to breath so to speak. Where do you think air moves to when you zoom a lens and its front extends outwards or comes back inwards? Air must fill the gap somehow, and it gets in either through the tight spaces within the barrel, through the environmental seals around the lens mount, or through the viewfinder. Yes, that's right, through the viewfinder :shock: So that's another potential place where dust could possibly, but not very likely, get to the sensor. Most all dust will get in when changing lenses, and if dust gets through the viefinder it will be stuck there behind the viewfinder lens, on the prism/mirror, or on the focusing screen.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 2:04 AM   #6

bradg wrote:
Quote:
i think some pro dslrs have rubber enviormental seals on the lens "thingy" to prevent dust and water from getting in
The Olympus E-1 actually cleans the sensor with ultra-sonic vibrations each time you turn it on (as well as having seals on the lens barrel).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:40 AM   #7
Len

Thanks for all the replies. They all make sense. I guess I was just hoping for the best as I came close to getting the 8 MP Minolta DiMage A2 and was willing to compromise on larger print quality as a trade for the fixed lens's elimination of dust problem. Got the D70 for all its positive qualities and am quite impressed with its ease of use and speed. I will just enjoy it and hope that with no changing of lens that sensor filter cleaning will be a rarity.