Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:10 PM   #1

I am looking to purchase a new digital camera. I would like it to take excellant videos for playing back on my computer or burnin on a dvd. I want one camera that will act as a video camera and digital camera but in a digital camera body. I do not want a professional camera as I will not use any manual features. Just an all around good camera for a novice.

Thanks!

Janell
jvigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:27 PM   #2

Most likely, you wont find what you are looking for. The video that digital cameras take is too low quality to burn to dvd. It sounds like you really need a small high quality videocamera that takes decent still pictures.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:28 PM   #3

One thing you have to realize, digicams are NOT camcorders...if you're expecting to put 20 minutes of TV quality video on a card, it's not going to happen. You have to make compromises, as digicams are mediocre video cameras, and camcorders are mediocre still cameras.

If I was in the market (and I already didn't have either), I'd look at the older models of each to get both a bargain camcorder and bargain digicam rather than buying a 2-in-1.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:29 PM   #4

jvigil wrote:
Quote:
I would like it to take excellant videos for playing back on my computer or burnin on a dvd.

if you want dvd quality, i think you need a viedo camera, not a digital camera

i dont even know why they put a "movie" mode on cameras, i guess it just adds to the list of stuff they can charge you for
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:31 PM   #5

those guys beat me withen a few minutes, i type too slow....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:25 PM   #6

Canon S1 IS and Kyocera M410R take 640 x 480 video at 30 fps per sec. Camcorders are 720 lines of resolution +/-. Also at 30 fps. So this is the best you can do. My 3CCD panasonic takes ok still and it is only 1 MP. The 3CCD panasonics today have bigger CCD and take 2 MP still. I beleive it is model PV GS120. Panasonis is coming out with the replacemenat to the "953" which takes 4MP stills and great video.

The Canon S1 IS with a 1 gig card records 9 minutes. They say that is the max but the S1 IS can take a 4 gig microdrive so i guess you can get 36 minutes if you have a delay every 9 minutes.

The Kyocera only limitation is the card. It takes SD cards and i think the biggest to date is 1 gig.

obrien040362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:14 PM   #7

I know it is not going to be the best quality. I should have said "I am looking for the best quality that a digital camera can take". The reason I want it is because there are a lot of events that I go to where video cameras are not allowed but digital cameras are. So if I want to take a quick video of my kids I can. I would buy a large memory card. I am not looking to shoot a few hours. Just a few mins.
jvigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:22 AM   #8

I think you're looking for the Canon S1. The S1 has a 10X stabilized optical zoom which you can use while taking videos and it takes excellent 640x480 videos at 30 frames per second. Frankly, I see little difference in the quality of the output of the videos on the S1 and my several Sonyand Canon digtal camcorders, but you do create large files so you will need to burn them to DVD.

The S1 is three megapixel resolution and a very nice little camera. It takes better videos than my Sony F828 or my Fuji S700Z or Fuji S602Z all of which support 30 frames per second limited only by storage space. The others do not have image stabilization nor do they have the ability to zoom which using the movie mode like the S1.

Go to the camera reviews here and click on the 3 megapixel cameras then find the S1 and go to the samples. If you have a broadband connect there is an 11 megabyte 640x480 segment avi movie you can download and play to see the image quality. It's not long, but it zooms and gives you an idea of the quality which is quite good.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 4:18 AM   #9

Maybe the pentax optio mx. Its just outut there are no reviews yet. It has 10 x zoom and mpeg 4 video (so you can fit more video on a memory card!

Good luck!

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:33 AM   #10

Im going to have to reccomend the fuji finepix 700, my friend has this camera and it takes EXCELLENT video. I mean, it is almost comprable to my mini-dv camera.

It is a 6.2mp camera also, and takes good video. The only problem I think you might run into is that it takes an xD card, which tends to be a bit expensive as far as memory goes. the camera has a really nice CCD also.

get the camera here for 330.00 with a 25 dollar rebate

it is a small compact and durable camera. it feels solid.

it did not recieve the strongest review here, but I'm guessing because it's rated as a 6.2 MP and the price at the time of the review, since the price has come down andotherwise its magnificant.
sci0n is offline   Reply With Quote