Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:48 PM   #1

JUst got the Olympus C-8080 and have taken some decent photos. Is it best to shoot in TIFF, edit then save the final as JPG? Will the higher resolutions loose their quality when resized to 8x10? Please advise.
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:21 AM   #2

It's best to shoot in raw if you don't mind the hassle processing the raw format once you've downloaded the images to your computer. The biggest drawback with raw (and tiff) on the c-8080 is that the write time to xD or CF of pictures taken in these formats is very long, on the order of 12-22 seconds depending on format (raw 12 secs, tiff 22 secs). During the time the picture is being written to the storage card, your lcd display is blanked and you can't take another shot.

I consider it a major hassle to use raw or tiff on the c-8080 and therefore use jpeg format for most all of my shooting with the camera.

The camera in SHQ mode takes higher resolution pictures than is needed for an 8x10 print at 300dpi. I've printed 13"x19" prints from photos taken by this camera and they look stunning (i9900 printer).

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 8:32 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. Please tell me which printer you suggest for the 8080 and what size prints will they print? Going to Alaska next week and want to get the most out of the pics. Would you shoot scenery in SQ1 or 2? I wish to have the bes possible results.

Thank you again
Joel
jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:59 AM   #4

Long ago I used to be a fan of Epson printers but I finally got fed up with their noisiness, their continual and infernal use of automatic cleaning cycles for the printheads, and the ease with which the printer heads clogged up if you didn't print something every day or so.

Then, I started using HP printers because I liked the idea that every time you change an ink cartridge you were also changing the print head. But, ink was very expensive and the quality of photos printed out wasn't as high as people were getting on Epson and Canon printers.

So, I finally moved over to Canon printers and I've been happy ever since. The print head is user replaceable but not a part of the ink cartridges. The machines are reasonably quiet. They are fast printing machines. Quality is excellent. Of the 3 big names in consumer photo printers, Canon makes the most ink cost-effective printers. My i9900 is a great printer that can print up to 13"x19" and it uses 8 individual ink cartridges, but it is expensive at around $450. You could get a Canon i860 for about $130 and still be able to print very high quality images in formats up to 8.5"x11".

I never shoot in any format other than SHQ regardless of what I am photographing. I figure that I bought an 8mp camera and I'm going to get every bit of detail into my photo the camera was designed to deliver (excepting using raw or tiff of course - too slow).
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote