Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:18 PM   #1
kex

Hi,I just got a Netsky.B.Worm from [email protected]
Fortunately my virus scanner detected it and cleaned it.

So this thread is just FYI. Better check out if there isn't something wrong with your computer, steve.

Oh, by the way, the message text in the mail was:

"something is going wrong!"

So pay attention if you get similar mails, folks!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:24 PM   #2
Administrator

I feel confident that it did not come from Steve.

Many worms look through the e-mail address books on infected PC's, using addressesfound on the PC, as the "from" address on e-mails sent out with the virus (usually in the "background" from the infected PC).

So, any PC with [email protected] in an e-mail address book, could be the source.

This is a COMMON technique for a virus to use. That way, it will appear that someone you know sent you the e-mail, and you'll be more likely to open it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:27 PM   #3
kex

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I feel confident that it did not come from Steve.

Many worms look through the e-mail address books on infected PC's, using addressesfound on the PC, as the "from" address on e-mails sent out with the virus (usually in the "background" from the infected PC).

So, any PC with [email protected] in an e-mail address book, could be the source.

This is a COMMON technique for a virus to use. That way, it will appear that someone you know sent you the e-mail, and you'll be more likely to open it.

Yah, right. I thought of that possibility, too.
But no way that I am going to open such emails. I love my NOD32, it does a good work!
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:28 PM   #4
Administrator

IRT my last post, look at how the worm you received works. It spoofs the from e-mail addresses it uses -- see paragraph 2 here:

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/allabout/a/netskyb.htm

"The act of spoofing the From address can also cause perfectly innocent people to be accused of sending the worm. Ironically, the one person least likely to be infected is the person whose name appears in the From field.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5

kex, i'm always getting these type of virus attempts from all over the place. They usually have a silly phrase with them like yours said and from all different places. Luckily they have all been spotted by Norton which I keep updated every week.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:25 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
"The act of spoofing the From address can also cause perfectly innocent people to be accused of sending the worm. Ironically, the one person least likely to be infected is the person whose name appears in the From field.
I get accused of sending infected e-mails every so often. Those dumb e-mail scanners are more annoying than the viruses themselves.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:49 PM   #7

luisr wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote: I get accused of sending infected e-mails every so often.* Those dumb e-mail scanners are more annoying than the viruses themselves.
Ditto...the worst ones are from automated mailers like Amazon, you can't do anything but block them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:15 PM   #8

jackrussell

You really should set your virus checker to update every day. Once a week is not enough. That leaves you open to new viruses for (on average) 3 1/2 days. Personally, I want as little time between the virus definition update being issued and me getting it (so I actually update every time I boot the computer.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:58 AM   #9

eric, I check for updates every couple of days but they usually only release updates on Wednesdays. There are occasionally updates on other days which is why i check every other day. Thanks for the advice. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:01 PM   #10

Glad to help. I hate viruses, so I do what I can to help stop them.

Most anti-virus software can be set to check automatically. So my just checks automatically 5 minutes after I boot. Some times it gets in the way, but usually I don't notice and it works well.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote