Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:31 PM   #1
jdg

I was looking for reviews and information for color lasers (such as the Tektronix 8400). I didn't see a Forum for color lasers, only ink jets and dye subs -- are these the preferred printing devices for photos?

Thanks!
jdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 6:25 PM   #2

Is probably because Lasers don't do a good job as photo printers. They are just not designed to work that way. If you take a look at the available papers for Laserjets you will see that photo quality paper types are not that common.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:09 PM   #3
jdg

host wrote:
Quote:
Is probably because Lasers don't do a good job as photo printers. They are just not designed to work that way. If you take a look at the available papers for Laserjets you will see that photo quality paper types are not that common.
Great point! I never thought to look at it from a Paper standpoint. I just have heard many raves about the Tektronix Printers and their photo quality for 8.5"x11" prints as they use a Solid Ink and the photos take on a glossy appearence on plain paper. The print samples I've seen looked great! I sent a few .JPG's to have them printed and it looked good at 4x6 and 5x8. I'm waiting for some full page 8.5"x11" samples. Was just wondering if nayone had any experience with this stuff.

Thanks for the comments!! I really appreciate it!

Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:55 PM   #4

I can only offer one (somewhat related) data point. At my office I have a Xerox/Tektronix 860 laser printer. It does a mediocre to poor job of printing photos using plain copier paper. The colors are dull/ washed out--no comparison to my home Canon ink jet printer using the same (crummy) copier paper. I have the printer's ICC profile loaded and I use a color managed monitor. I have not had the motivation to experiment with other paper stock in the 860. I haven't seen any 'photo quality' paper listed as being safe for use in the 860, but I haven't done an exhaustive search either.

BTW, the prints from the 860 fade noticeably in ordinary interior fluorescent lighting conditions.

If the 860 is representative of the whole class of color laser printers, then, IMHO, color laser printers are not a good choice for making photographic prints.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:55 PM   #5

Try check out Okidata
http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/AboutTech.html
http://www.okidata.com/mkt/html/nf/C...5300nHome.html
They use an LED array. It has less moving parts than a laser.
The pictures come out very nice.
When you look at pictures in a.... " photographic ".... magazine of course you know they use some type of LED or Laser printer.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:55 PM   #6

I have used a Xerox Phaser 1235 quite a lot for printing images. Its a high end printer and it does a great job with text and graphics etc but as far as pictures, they are not that great. They work for what we need them for but I wouldn't hang them on my wall. I have tried some other papers and gotten a little better results than your typical copier paper. I asked an office supply store if they had any Photo type Laser Printer paper. The store told me they could get it but it was very expensive and they didn't carry it in stock. However they also wouldn't tell me what I would be getting, so the clerk probably didn't really know what they were talking about.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:29 PM   #7
jdg

Thank you everyone for your comments and experiences! I had the option to choose either the Xerox Tektronix 8400B or the Canon i9900. The price was the same for either (special pricing on the Xerox), so I thought it being a color laser would give me more bang for the buck. I'm now leaning way over to the Canon i9900, but will wait for the 8"x10" print samples to arrive -- should be any day now.

Thanks again everyone! I will keep you all posted; if anyone has any additional comments, please feel free to post!