Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:57 PM   #1

I bought the sony DSCW1 which uses rechargeable NiMh batteries. The salesman mentioned that they need to be totaly drained before charging them, as they are not "memory free" like the 'lithium ion' ones. Is that true or it was a pitch to buy a camera with the Sony proprietary battery? Does any owher of DSCW1 has the same issue?
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:42 PM   #2

Nicads have memory issues. NIMH don't have much of a memory effect. They are very tolerant to topping up.

Basically unless you abuse them you will find they won't exibit memory effects until they are near the end of the battery lifespan.

In other words don't worry about it...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 1:49 PM   #3

The instructions with my Maha charger said it is a good idea to totally discharge NiMH about every 25 or so uses. They have a conditioning mode on the charger that does that and is mostly for NiCad. It is the only recommendation I've seen for ever doing a total discharge on NiMH, so they might just be justifying their reconditioning circuit.

If you do decide to discharge them don't put them in something like a flashlight and leave it on. Evidently there is a circuit in devices that take NiMH that doesn't let them discharge past a certain point. You can damage them if you totally discharge them in a device not designed for NiMH.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:06 PM   #4

SalBolzano wrote:
Quote:
they need to be totaly drained before charging them
No, Ni-MH cells are, as others have said, very tolerant to top-up charging. I have been using more than 30 cells in all sorts of devices in this way foryears, with no trouble at all.

However, you should be aware that they don't hold their charge too well. So not only will you do no harm by topping them up, it may prove essential if you've left them a few weeks since their last use.

If you rummage around these forums, you'll find links to various batteries websitesthat will tell you all about it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:45 PM   #5

Guys ! I want to thak each and everyone for replying and helping! Good luck to all of you and be well all of you !!!
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:48 PM   #6

i agree with alan t i have two sets one from radio shack and olypmus and never have drained just top them off had them about four years
bherring is offline   Reply With Quote