Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:49 PM   #1

My wife and I own 2 sony floppy disk cameras. I would like to give her the ability to take pics with her without printing them out. Is a PDA my only choice? If so what is your opion of the Palmone tungsten E?
Hairy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:13 PM   #2
Administrator

Hairy5050 wrote:
Quote:
My wife and I own 2 sony floppy disk cameras. I would like to give her the ability to take pics with her without printing them out. Is a PDA my only choice? If so what is your opion of the Palmone tungsten E?
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to say.

What does a PDA like the PalmTungsten Ehave to do with taking photos? Does it have an optional camera?

Or, did you mean that you want to use it for viewing the photos taken with the Sonys (by copying the photos to a PC, then transferring them via USB to the Palm)?

Sorry, but I'm somewhat of a dummy when it comes to current model PDA's.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:35 PM   #3

Hairy5050 wrote:
Quote:
You mean you want to be able to view pictures on the road without having the need to print them out?

You'll need to be more specific in your question before we can give you an answer.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:44 PM   #4

I think the Tungsten E probably has the best display available. At least it did a few months ago when I was shopping. I got a Tungsten C because I wanted the keyboard because its primary use is as a PDA. It has a nice display, but the display on the E is bigger.

You have enough internal memory to put hundreds of JPGs at the screen display size – maybe thousands. And still have plenty of room left for PDA stuff. SD cards are cheap now if you need more.

It is a nice way to show your photos and I can't think of anything better than the Tungsten E that is as portable.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:45 PM   #5

Take a look at the FlashTrax.

http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Di.../FlashTrax.asp

It has a 3.5 inch color screen so she could look at photos, it is small, and it is also an MP3 player in case she gets bored.

You would also have the ability to backup your photos to this device if you ever switched to a format other than floppy.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 7:50 PM   #6
Administrator

OK... I misunderstood. I must have read it 3 or 4 times, before I understood the "take pics with her" part. My apologies.

Since I looked at the Palmone web site, and don't see any optional cameras, then you must mean using it to view the photos.

From looking at the specs, the display resolution on the Palm One Tungsten E is fairly low (320x320), although this may be considered high by PDA standards. Again, I am not familiar with current PDA models, so I don't know how it would compare.

But, I'd question the quality of the display for viewing photos (and how much detail you'd be able to see on such a tiny,lower resolutiondisplay).

Even the small display on my Digital Camera is a higher resolution display, compared to the Palm One Tungsten E display. Even still, I often have to "zoom in" (magnify) on interesting portions of an image, to show it to others. Otherwise, you can't see enough detail. I don't know if the Palm One would allow this or not (zoom in on a photo).

Since I have not tried it, I'll leave it up to more posters that may be familiar with this modelto respond.

Edit: Imust have been taking far to long to type (I didn't see the other responses before I posted).

I'd trust Slipe's judgement. If he says it's the best way, then itprobably is.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:25 PM   #7

Maybe best among Palms, but a laptop would be better for serious viewing (especially details).
Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:14 PM   #8

if there floppy disk cameras, how would you view them on a PDA in the first place? :sad:

if they are indeed floppy disk cameras, then im guessing however u get them onto a PDA, that the resolution wont be that big of a deal, i mean they are floppy disk cameras after all... and anything looks decent on a tft display

correct me if im wrong.
sci0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:53 PM   #9

The screen on the Tungsten is bright and photos look nice. I was actually thinking about the T3 instead of the E. The E has the same square display as my C, which isn't bad. The T3 is small and expands out to 320 X 480, which is a better display for most photos. Pricier though.

With Palm PDAs you enter the images through the computer. There is an included utility that lets you download, store and display images. If it wasn't included you can download it free from Palm's site.

If you are going to consider the SmartDisk make sure your camera stores a thumbnail in the EXIF along with the image. That is evidently all it will read and some cameras do not store a thumbnail in the EXIF. It looks big enough that a smallish used laptop would probably be a better option.

The E also has an MP3 player. You can do a lot of neat stuff with a PDA. I have a program in mine that displays the night sky from any view, time and position. It defaults to your present position and time. You can zoom in and click on any star or planet and it will tell you about it. I have Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance on mine to read at boring meetings. People think I am storing data or something.

I agree a used laptop would be nice if you can find a used one cheap at a computer show or flea market. They make some compact models that aren't bad to carry around. But your wife could always have the Tungsten in her pocketbook. It is useful for a lot of things.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:53 PM   #10

I'm still waiting to see a reply from "Hairy5050" to see what they *actually* want...otherwise we're just guessing here.

As for getting pictures on the Palm, besides needing a PC to act as a middleman, there are many programs that allow you to view images on the Palm.