Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:03 AM   #1

Does anyone have first-hand experience with cameras that have LCD screens which can be viewed in fairly bright sunlight? I read a lot of reviews which say that a particular camera has a screen that is good in bright light, but have yet to find one that truly is. Just bought a Canon A80 as it is so highly rated (including some references that say the screen is viewable under most lighting conditions), but I'm disappointed. The screen just cannot be seen when the sun is overhead or anywhere close to behind you. I realize that I can use the optical viewfinder in these situations, but not being able to see what the digital zoom is doing puts a damper on things. I suppose I'm being overly critical, and might be looking for something that's just not there, but I'd just like to be sure. Thanks for any help or comments.
ArtieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:26 AM   #2

The best outdoor LCD I've used is on the Sony DSC-T1. It's probably a little more of a snapshot type camera than a lot of people are looking for, but it does have a great LCD.
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:08 AM   #3

The A80 does not have a transflective LCD. You can't see it well in direct sunlight. Newer cameras are coming out with transflective screens, which have reflective elements to use the sunlight to view the LCD. Those are the only ones you can view in direct sunlight without a shade for the LCD.

They might make a shade for the A80 or there might be one you could adapt.

If your only problem is setting your digital zoom just stop using it. You accomplish the same thing cropping the picture after you get it on your computer. Cropping is fast and painless, plus you have the time to get it exactly like you want it. Digital zoom just crops out part of the CCD.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 1:25 PM   #4
TC3

I have the new Kyocera M410R which has a very good easy to see in sunlight screen and also a very good EVF among other things. I have had the same problem as you are having with previous cameras but not with this one.....check it out on the Kyocera forum
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 3:58 PM   #5

Slipe.....
Thanks for the info. Do you know of any cameras that have reflective element screens?
ArtieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 5:33 PM   #6

The Minolta DiMage Z1's LCD is good even when used in bright sunlight. It is only 1,5", though - but it got 113k Pixels!
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:11 PM   #7

ArtieM wrote:
Quote:
Do you know of any cameras that have reflective element screens?

If you look under features on the first page of Steve's reviews the LCD will be listed as "transreflective". The Sony T1 and Kyocera M410R are a couple I happen to know of. More new models have it. I would look for the features I wanted and then look for the transreflective LCD.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:29 PM   #8

I have a Kodak DX4330 which is/was advertised as having an indoor/outdoor display. In practice, you can only see the LCD clear enough under bright sunlight when the sun is actually shining directly over the screen. It seems to be reflective. Doesn't look clear enough to see the pictures with the same detail as when the screen is backlit but at least you can clearly see the menus and at least tell if your picture is correctly framed.

Otherwise the screen is hard to see un bright light.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote