Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Drivers for Win XP

Are there any drivers for Win XP for the f707. I just put XP on my PC and realized my Lexar memory stick reader doesn't have a driver for XP and neither does the F707. Do any of you know where I can find one?

I went to Lexar's site but didn't have one there. Do any of you know where to find one or am I SOL and have to throw in Win 98 again
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:00 AM   #2

the stick itself is not an issue. if you are using a standard USB card reader a driver is not necessary as it is built in to XP. it will come up as a removeable drive. if you have issues with the reader not being recognized run the find new hardware applet in the control panel. if it is the lexar USB enabled reader/card combo get a new USB reader like a zio. they're $20+. much better than putting 98 back in.

also you have a 90% chance that the win2000 drivers will work. don't worry about thr driver signing warning. remember XP is the mainstream version of 2000 with a crayola front end makeover. unless sony did something to the driver it should work. admittedly there are a few that don't. you won't gag your machine trying it though.

[Edited on 9-21-2002 by sjms]

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2002, 12:34 PM   #3

I didn't try the Sony, I just read that it was supported by 95,98,ME,2000 and no XP. So I didn't try it.

With the Lexar I loaded the drivers and it said something about not the right driver or it wouldn't work and it would effect XP now or further down the line.

Besides that I paid $30 for this reader I don't want to let it go to waste.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 1:57 PM   #4

if your reader is a standard usb reader there are no drivers necessary to install. xp supports usb readers with a built in generic driver.
plug it in and generally within 30 sec. xp chimes and says it found a new device and will attempt to install it. then generally a minute later it will say it is installed as a removeable drive with its own drive letter. if you attempted to force install the old drivers and it still doesn't work remove the device in the control panel.
1 control panel
2 system icon
3 hardware tab
4 device manager
5 look down the tree for a device that has a yellow exclaimation point on it. it should tell you what it is.
6 right click on that device and on the drop list hit uninstall. it should uninstall the device and problem drivers. reboot your computer with the reader plugged in and start over and let me know the results. any messages must be given EXACTLY so we can see if there is an issue
if it see the device let it do its thing. it should install itself with out your intervention or external drivers.

Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:42 PM   #5

Alright I'll start now.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:44 PM   #6

I don't see a System icon. Is there another name?
Old Sep 21, 2002, 2:59 PM   #7

Alright nevermind, I uninstalled it and rebooted. It says it found new hardware and says exactly
"Welcome to new hardware unstalation wizard"

This wizard helps you install software for:
USB memory stick reader.

If your hardware came with an installation CD/floppy insert it now,

What do you want the wizard to do?
A. Install the hardware automatically(recommended)
B. Install from a list or specific location(advanced)

Click next to continue.

So what should I do? It asks for the CD, but it won't except what the CD drivers are.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 7:02 PM   #8

it gave you 2 choices. you'll note that it also offered to do a auto install (recommended) then try the automatic install. if the driver exists it will install. if its not on your computer snd your on broadband or online it will search the MS database for it and load it it.

always let it try the easy way first.

Old Sep 21, 2002, 7:18 PM   #9

by the way i apologize i should have told you to switch to classic view for the control panel.
Old Sep 22, 2002, 1:16 AM   #10

I did the recommended choice but is asked for the install CD or to the website database thingy. When I went to the website it didn't find any drivers. I went to Lexars site and they didn't have any drivers for XP either.