Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:07 PM   #1

Hi all,

(Quite honestly, I did not have much use the thread below:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

Pessimismcan becontagious)

Optimism, too, is contagious. So, this forum memberinvitesall of younow to share your photographic joys.

With all due respect,this forum memberinvites to honor those whomyou love and cherish and those sights, those vistas, those momentsyou hold dear toyour hearts for which it has beenyour privelege to be present at the moment and capture the image with yourcameras, digital or film.

By this thread, this forum member seeks to honor the exampleset byhis parents:

one, a retired teacher who lived and lives a life of selflessness.

the other, deceased now, a Marine, whofought toensure the freedom this citizen has today to freely shoot photos.

Here now, for example, is one of my photographicjoys...seeing my lil' niece burst out laughing for reasons only apparent to her young, two year life, feeling my heart melt as I simultaneously press the shutter just at "maximum smile".
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:23 PM   #2

My joys are the photo opportunties to take photos of my grandaughters.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:08 PM   #3

I tend to ignore all of the hype and do my own research. This Forum and its Members are a huge help.

As for joys, people in general. Each has a story totell and trying to capture the moment keeps me trying even harder. Struggling a bit now with a new Rebel but learning quickly.

Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:15 PM   #4

Humm... Well, since "Making my partner Kathy laugh" isn't photographic, that doesn't count.

Taking a picture of something completely new to me, usually that means a Bird (as I do a lot of bird photography) but it isn't always. For example, each of these 3 galleries have pictures taken on the same day. Oh, what a day:
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/galleries/great_horned_owl
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/galleri...morph_red_tail
http://www.marx7.org/~esmith/galleri..._morph_screech

I doubt I'll forget that day for a long time.

Getting far enough out (and that can be mentally if not physically) that I'm one with the moment I'm photographing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:48 AM   #5

Digcamfan, I'm really glad you started this thread. It's good for us to think about why we really enjoy photography.

Most people that take pictures would probably say that they like the fact that the images are a record of many different moments. But to me, thinking of it as a record seems too impersonal. For me, pictures are memories. Yeah, I know that that is an oft-used term when it comes to pictures. Still, the older I get the more it rings true.

To think that each and every time I press that shutter release I am making a memory that I can refer back to at a later date just seems magical. When I am old and my memory is failing me (yes - it happens to most people), photographs will be there to help dredge the memories back up. Even now, with my father having passed away almost a year ago, I look at the photos I took of him, snapshots which I didn't think about too much before, and they now represent precious moments of someone special to me.

And, I also enjoy taking pictures that I can print out and give away to friends and relatives. No money involved to ruin things. Just a gift given in love and received with joy. That's the way I like it.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 12:50 AM   #6

eric s wrote: Eric, you never displayed those pictures here! (or at least since I've been visiting these forums). Those screech owl shots are absolutely fantastic. You were so lucky to have been there to see that and even better yet that you were able to capture those "memories" :-)
Old Jul 17, 2004, 1:30 AM   #7

Photographing something that no one has ever thought of...for instance, here's a severe closeup of a plasma globe to the point it looks like a planet in space, a reflection looking like a spaceship, and using hot pixels as stars:
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0.../spaceship.jpg

Probably the first time that hot pixels were used as a *benefit*! :idea:

Here's what the plasma globe normally looks like:
http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0...lasmaglobe.jpg
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:02 AM   #8

Capturing the purity and sheer beauty of things, especially horses.

Whatever makes my heart flutter like seeing a horse gallop though a field, whinny to its neighbour, or trot thought the sand but apprear to be flating on clouds. My goal is to not make it only apprear like that to me, but make everyone understand why I like photgraphing them so much.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:41 AM   #9

I always rely on poems and or photography to help people fathom what and hwy i feel things. So here, I wrote a poem

I feel empowered as I grasp the black metal

Pressing the shutter I release the beauty of a thousand flowers

My brain leaves this place we call earth and drags me to what I call heaven

I fly a million miles away, I am on a mission

I am here to show the true beauty of the objects we overlook daily

Show the essence of their purity, naturalness, and wholesomeness

Looking back at the images I am reminded of a better place

A whole new world that I can escape to at the touch of my camera

I want people to understand how exquisite nature really is

All we have to do is open our eyes
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:50 AM   #10

Amy, just beautiful. Thank you. You do indeed have a way with poetry and allowing your feelings to express through the words - I noticed this in the poems on your website.

I like your new avatar even more than your old one!