Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:45 AM   #1

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC LC40
Memory Card: SanDisk 256MB
Purchased: October 2003 floor model from retailer

Problems: While still enough memory to take 100+ pictures, camera gives error message: Memory Card Full. Camera will not switch from picture taking mode to playback mode. Camerasometimes willnot turn off using switch. Removing battery and reinserting will temporarily fix problem. But problem reoccurs. This happened a few days in a row, and then quit happening, but I want to know if it's an easy fix or if I'm out the cost of my camera!

Solutions tried already: Recharged battery. Removed memory card while camera off and reinserted.

Any suggestions, oh wise camera gurus?? I did not purchase extended warranty, so I'm on my own with this one.
tallgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:49 AM   #2

The problem is most likely a corrupted memory card. If you remove the card while the activity light is on, that can corrupt it. Also, removing the batteries while the light is on is bad news. Try reformatting your memory card or using a different one. If there are photos that you need to retrieve from the damaged card, there is some excellent software available for that purpose.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Administrator

I agree with CALR, it's probably the memory card. If formatting the card (and I'd use the camera to do this) doesn't fix the problem, then you may want to consider a faster card, too.

I'm not sure how "finnicky" your Panasonic is about memory type, but the Sandisk "Standard" Secure Digital Cards in larger sizes (> 128mb) are notoriously slow (and unreliable) in some camera models.

Panasonic's larger (256mb, 512mb) Secure Digital Cards are rated at 10mb/second (about 5 times as fast as your Sandisk 256mb card, when tested in readers). Of course, your Pansasonic may or may not be able to take advantage of a faster card. In any event, I do see far more problems reported with Sandisk's Standard 256mb Secure Digital Cards (or cards from other manufacturers using Sandisk Components), compared to faster Secure Digital Cards in larger sizes, like the ones from Panasonic.

Added: Note that Sandisk does make a newer Series of Secure Digital Cards (their Ultra II Series) that are quite fast. Also, if formatting your card (use the camera's format menu choice, not the PC) does not help the problem, and you can verify that a different SD card works properly, then Sandisk may consider sending you a replacement card. Here is their support page:

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/support.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:39 AM   #4

Also an older camera (May 2002) may have a memory limit and not be able to take larger cards...this is usually a firmware upgrade to fix it. In any case, you should still be under warranty so contact Panasonic (don't mention it was a floor model).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:44 PM   #5

Yeah I just started using my new digital camera, with a standard SD card (very slow), and had some trouble in the beginning. You might want to do what others suggested, format the card, see if you can get the card replaced.

There are two upper end Sandisk cards now, the Ultra II and Extreme. I am not sure about the Extreme, bothers me that everything now has that term to sell :roll:, but I know a friend has the Ultra II CF card and it is very quick.

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:58 PM   #6

Try rebooting the camera. Take the batteries out and leave them out long enough for the camera to lose track of the date and time. That should reset everything to the factory settings. Since it was a "demo" camera, who knows what buttons have been pushed on it. Might not solve the problem, but it cannot cause another problem.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 4:12 PM   #7
Administrator

In addition to trying a format of the card in the camera, there is one other possibility that comes to mind. This is a long shot...

If you look at your Secure Digital Card closely, you'll see a tiny switch on it. This switch is designed to "write protect" the card when it's in the "locked" position.

So, if the switchisnotfully open, it could be making contact with the "lock" side at times (which write protects the card). In that case, I'd expect to see something like your "memory card full" errors. Try moving the switch back and forth from lock to unlock -- making sure it's in the fully unlocked position.

Although, I would not expect it to cause some of the other problems you are seeing.

I have seen a "bad" memory card cause a camera to behave strangely though.

You may also want to try a different battery.

If you just bought the camera, you may also want to see if the retailer will give you a refund, or insist that they figure out what is wrong with it. If the salesperson disagrees, you may want to speak with a manager. After all, they have a reputation to protect, and don't want an unhappy customer.

One other note.... Just because it was a floor model, doesn'tmean that the manufacturer won't warranty it. Many people assume (wrongly) that they need the warranty card for service (or needed to register the camera for warranty when they purchase it).

Actually, most warranty cards are used just to gather marketing information (and information about you, so they cantry to sell you more products, or sell your mailing address to others, based on the "marketing profile" they have from the questions you answered).

Guess what? Whenyourcamera needs service frommost manufacturers, even if you filled out a warranty card, they want proof of purchase.

That's usually all that is required from most manufacturers. So, if you have a receipt, you may be able to get a floor model serviced from the manufacturer under warranty. I just would not tell them it was a floor model.

If you don't have a receipt, the store may be able to look up the transaction and give you a duplicate receipt.

Although, personally, I'd probably take the approach of insisting the store figure out what's wrong, so that you're not trying to acquireother parts totroubleshoot with (swapping memory card, battery, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:05 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions. If it's a problem with the memory card, it's a new problem, as I have taken up to 80-90 photos on the same card in the past. I will try the format as suggested. Unfortunately, the manufacturer warranty only applies to United States customers, at least according to the owner's manual. And we live some distance from the place of purchase, so returning to the retailer is not something we're likely to do unless we absolutely have to.

If others have suggestions, please let me know. I'll check back again in a few days. Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:27 PM   #9

Just had a brainwave...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The humidity here has been 60-80% the last week or so. I bet that can wreak havoc with a digital camera. I had no problems retrieving existing pictures. Think I'll wait a bit before reformatting card to see if the problem quits happening when the humidity returns to normal.