Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:18 PM   #31

I got the impression you were going to look for a slave flash for the Pentax.
Make sure your camera doesn't use a small pre-flash for metering. Some do that and you can't use a slave unit with them as Chako said.

I got a battery for my FZ10 for $20 that seems as competent as the Panasonic battery. Others paid more (but not nearly as much as the original) for a higher capacity battery that works better than the original. Be careful though – some people got stung with some Hong Kong batteries. Whatever you get ask around on the specific board for recommendations.

One of my main complaints about the FZ10 is that it is so menu driven. Things I can do on my pocket camera directly like switch to spot or macro modes require you to dig through menus on the FZ10. Compared to my D7i the FZ10 is grossly under-designed. But you never have to take your eye from the viewfinder, and learn to work with what you have. It also has electric zoom, which is ridiculous on a 12X zoom. All that said it is a useable camera.

I have a Vivitar 285HV that works fine on the FZ10. But some of the 285s had voltages that are too high. You can check it yourself with a voltmeter and compare it to the camera requirements.

I'm sure you researched and know what you are talking about, but it is odd that the relative prices would be so different. The cheapest US 4 star rated seller for the Minolta 414 is $160 plus shipping. The cheapest 4 star for the 33L is $230 plus shipping. The 414 has full manual, aperture and shutter priority, long exposure noise reduction, takes NiMH and is "real" shiny metal.

Once you get a camera that lets you adjust shutter and aperture you will find they all work like your ME Super and Minoltas. Some have separate P,A,S and M positions on the mode dial and others make you go to a menu to get into the mode, but there are always two buttons to move up and down with – at least on anything I've seen.

That is one of my peeves. The mode dials have mostly useless modes and often don't have separate PASM. They also often don't have custom modes on the mode dial. Those are quite handy on the mode dial and useless in the menus.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:01 PM   #32
Administrator

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Panasonic and Leica have the right idea, but in the wrong price range.

Ira
The way I see it all you need do is wait 9 months to a year and then the LC1 will be cleared out or liquidated at a fraction of its current $1599 price. This will be due mostly to a lack of sales rather than being superceeded by a new model. I doubt that Leica has ordered very many of them given that theirs is$300 more pricey than the Panasonic version. Manual controls or no manual controls, $1600 for a fixed lens 5-megapixel digicam is a little rediculous in the current economic climate.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:05 PM   #33

Slipe

The pentax does use a preflash, that is the problem, I have two old slave units (the type with a hotshoe so that you can mount any available flash) but they will not work with the Pentax because they fire with the preflash.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:21 PM   #34

Thank you Steve, I think you are partly right about the Leica / Panasonic pricing.

The Panasonic, although it is hundreds cheaper, will not sell. I think the Leica will because of two groups:

Group 1 are current Leica users who want to go digital but stay brand loyal, and with a familiar control layout (since Leica represents the conservative camera design philosophy it is farthest from the current digicam mold), most of these users are probably pros or well heeled amateurs who willnot balk at the pricetag. If you are a member of this group I hope you enjoy your camera. If I were in this position I would probably buy one (although I still think that I would go for the Panasonic).

Group 2 are the wannabes, with more money than brains, who recognise the Leica name tag and just want to look chic, they will buy this camera because it has the "look" (especially that huge name plate). They just want to wear it around their necks at trendy spots to show off. I guess it isn't an expensive digicam, just cheap jewelery.:?

The rest of us will wait for the Panasonic price to drop.

Well, what do you think of that theory?

Ira
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:38 PM   #35

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
The more information I get the more I realize that to go beyond the basic P&S camera may require a much greater commitment than I first imagined. My flash is an early 285 which apparently is not recommended (later 285HV? may be OK).

I think I'd better move over to the Flash forum and start asking about slaves that will work with the Pentax.

Ira
Here is a strange one. The Kodak is probably one of the few cameras you can use your old 285 with. It actually has a 500V protected flash sync.

It sounds like we came up somewhat similar (I had an ME Super that died of old age also) and the 6490 is a hoot to shoot with. I recently upgraded to an A2 but that was after putting over 20K shots on the Kodak. The Kodak is now the backup camera. Based on film prices I expect to pay for the A2 in about three more weeks.

I also have a walk around camera (Pentax Optio 550) to use an external flash (not often but occasionally) I use one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...022&is=REG

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:21 PM   #36

CastleDude

Thanks for the flash info on the Kodak, that gives me one more point in its favour.

One quick question about the Kodak, how is the EVF? Does it black out or freeze during focus? I have used an HP 945 and my wife's Fujifilm 2800Z, the HP can be used in very low light but has an appalling refresh rate which makes it a pain to use, the Fuji is much better but is useless in low light.

The Kodak may be showing up at discount soon so it may be a good choice.

Ira

Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:09 PM   #37

The EVF is pretty good but mostly I use LCD on the back (it is even visible in bright sunlight). The Kodak does a really good job of gaining up in low light (it switches to b/w even if needed) I've never had either freeze or black out.

The bad stuff on the 6490 is that when shooting action (multiframe setting)the screen blanks out between shots (that took some getting used to). Some people have reported focus is a little difficult in low light. I have not seen this but YMMV, I think it is a knowlege thing once you realize the focus needs contrast differences it's pretty easy to pick a spot to focus on, lock and move over to the correct spot if it is having trouble.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:41 AM   #38

Well, this discussion has certainly drifted astray, but like I said, if manufacturers do not build what you want you must adapt.

Right now the Kodak DX6490 looks tempting, I have seen pictures from DX Kodaks before and I must say that they are usually well exposed with good colour saturation and no objectionable artifacts. The DX6490 lens is top quality and it has enough exposure control to do some interesting long exposure pictures. The reviews seem mostly positive, most putting it a step up from the Fuji S5000 except in sports or action situations where the EVF and burst mode of the Fuji is more effective (for the Kodak, just the flash PC connector is enough to sell it to me) and , although there is no manual focus (mst EVF manual focus is not very good anyway) the autofocus is quite robust, if somewhat slow.

I guess this will have to do until I can get into the higher price ranges and buy a DSLR.

Thanks

Ira