Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Administrator

Edit: Meant in response to Redman's last post

That's the reason I was trying to tell you that some of the older Lexar cards appear to be using Sandisk components. The newer "high speed 32x" Lexar cards appear to be using the better Panasonic components.

Ditto for the Simpletech's larger 256mb and 512mbCards (Panasonic Components).

Some vendors appear to source their components from more than one manufacturer. For example: Dane_Elec, Lexar, PNY, Transcend, Pretec and Viking.

You can tell by the codes on the back of the cardswhether or notyou've got a good one (fast and more reliable), or a bad one (slow and unreliable). Unfortunately, you can't see the code on the back of the cards until you open the package.

The slower Sandisk cards (and vendors using these components) will have a code that looks like AX0303RJon the back. The 256mb cards start with AR, and the 512mb cards start with AX. The remaining sequence varies.

Thefast (and more reliable) cards using Panasonic Components will have a code that looks much longer.

Another way to tell is that the better cards using Panasonic or Toshiba Components are made in Japan. The slower cards with a higher failure rate are made in China or Taiwan.

I'm only trying to do you a favor. Stick with a high speed card. For whatever reason, the slower cards are unreliable in many devices. Your Toshiba may work fine with a slower card. However, I would not risk it if I were in your shoes.

Note that all of the Sandisk Secure Digital Cards (except for the new Ultra II) are MUCH slower in larger sizes, too. Panasonic cards (and cards using Panasonic Components) test about 5 times as fast.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Administrator

sjms wrote:
Quote:
sd on the other hand has no controller.
Secure Digital Cards have built in controllers. I'd have to dig for the references, but there are 3 controller types/speeds currently in use in SD.

Added: I am still looking for the site with Google, that discusses the different controller types usedwith SD (I should have bookmarked it). However, if you look at the Sandisk Ultra II product descriptions, you'll see that they discuss it using optimized controller technology.

Also, if you look at some of thesites discussing SD in PDA's, they discuss that some of the compatibility issues with Sandisk (standard) SD had to do with the controller IC.

Here's an example (see last paragraph on page):

http://www.mittoni.com.au/catalog/ar.../articles_id/7

Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:11 AM   #13

ok, thanks JimC, its cleared up now, i just misunderstood what you were saying, but i get it now...

im going to think about this all for a while and get back to you here if i have other questions...

after reading what you said i am now leaning towards the lexar 32x, but its a bit pricey, so im going to see what they have that are made in japan, since you say thats also an indicator of the newer, faster chips...

i dont know, im really going to have to think about this now... i checked the back of the 16meg card i got with the camera and its a toshiba brand 16meg sd card, with a long serial number, unlike the example you posted in your previous msg, and it is also made in japan, but in the months of having this camera ive had one card error while taking some video with the camera...i lost that clip, but after turning the camera off then on again everything was ok and ive had no such problems since... i dont know if that is an indicator of anything, or just an isolated incident?

but much thanks to everyone who has helped me here, especially you JimC...
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:24 AM   #14
TC3

Sandisk cards are among the worst realiable cards. Simpletech and Kingmax make cards just as fast if not faster then any Sandisk or Lexar card and can be obtained from e bay at good prices. If you must get one straight away and they are equal speeds then it would have to be either a Panasonic or Lexar...steer clear of Sandisk is my advice. Why risk losing some pics with a brand that has had many complaints??
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:33 AM   #15
Administrator

Here is asite with a problem list ofSD cards in PDA's (although they do have some cameras listed). Note that the made in Japan cards tend to be much more reliable (as compared the rest).

Again, you have to watch out for most vendors (because they use more than one source for their components).

I can tell you from forum posts that the newer Lexar 32x "High Speed" cards work fine in my camera model. Ditto for the Simpletech and Panasonic cards in larger 256mb and 512mb sizes.These will always be made in Japan using the faster components.

However, you're "rolling the dice" with the others --with the Sandisk Standard Cards being extremely unreliable (intermittent corrupted files, slow startup times, etc.; usually followed by afailure to format in my camera model after very much use). Up until recently, Konica-Minolta used to have warnings about them in their compatibility charts (now, they just don't show them as being tested).

http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

BTW, if you e-mail some of the vendors, some will actually tell you whose components they use (I've seen e-mails from manufacturers quoted in forum posts before).

Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:43 AM   #16

hm, i just thought of something...

the speed of the card is useful when im taking a large pic, ie. over 3MP, cause it can transfer from the cache in the camera to the card, right?

well my camera is a 2MP camera, and i rarely even use it on the 2MP setting...i take most of my pics at 1.2MP just because thats large enough for my needs...i want a large card cause i take video clips as well as pics...

so considering the megapixels i use, is it still in my best interest to get the high speed cards?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:01 AM   #17
Administrator

I'm not sure it has anything to do with how much data is being written to the card.

Again, based on forum posts I've seen, I would not personally trust any card other than the Panasonic, Simpletech, or Lexar "32x High Speed" Secure Digital Cards in my camera.

I have speculated that the problems with some cards may have to do with the way flow control works between the card controller and camera (and/or the controller interface to the memory cells). But, I also see "out of the box" failures reported with Sandisk Cards (not just after being used for a while), so I don't think it's just a speed issue. It think it's more likely the controller (or simply poor quality memory cells).

Heck, in the past week, I've even seen forum posts from Sandisk Ultra II users, indicate that they got bad cards out of the box (one user had two in a row).

Although, to be fair, his third card is working fine, and the Ultra II cards are very fast.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:05 AM   #18

damn...well i want the 32x lexar from japan now... this brings me into a price dilemma now...

the sandisk was 155 after tax, thats what i planned to pay, now the lexar 32x is going to cost 230 after tax...

its an extra 80 bucks because of this sandisk being so crap problem...:O
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:06 AM   #19
Administrator

BTW, I have seen Steve (owner/editor of this site) recommend the Transcend 45x SD card recently. However, I know nothing about this card.

Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:14 AM   #20
Administrator

Well, you could always risk going with the non high speed Lexar 512mb card. They do appear to have used more than one supplier prior to the new cards with the 32x High Speed designation.

So, you might get lucky and get agood one, made in Japan. I'd probably give it a 50/50 chance, since they'd be more likely to use higher quality components in their largest card.

I wouldn't risk it myself though.

I can't believe that there would bethat much price difference (there was only $20.00 difference between the standard and high speed cards on the site you were looking at in 256mb size). I didn't check the 512mb size.