Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:25 PM   #1

hey guys,

im going to buy a memory card tomorrow and im just wondering which is better to get...

im am getting a 512meg SD card for my digi...i have seen one from Lexar and one from Sandisk for the same price, and i believe also same speed. im wondering if one brand is better than the other, or if they are exactly the same, and also which brand would you buy, or have bought already...

any opinions welcome...

THANKS!
Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:01 PM   #2
Administrator

If you can get a "high speed 32x" Lexar Secure Digital Card for the same price, buy it. Otherwise, I'd be cautious (some of their older, non 32xcards appear to be made by Sandisk, so you'd be "rolling the dice").

For whatever reason, the Sandisk Standard speed Secure Digital cards seem to have more problems (even though their other media types are fine). In fact, Konica-Minolta had specific warnings about trying to use these cards in some of their models, indicating that their use may cause the cameras to malfunction with errors.

They have since removed the specfic warnings. Now, they just don't list Sandisk Secure Digtal Cards as being tested with themodels having problems with them -- instead only showing Panasonic and Toshiba in 256mb size as compatible, and only Panasonic in 512mb size as compatible.

I'd probably stick to Panasonic or Simpletech Secure Digital cards in larger sizes. These are rated at 10mb/second, and test about 5 times as fast as Sandisk's "Standard" SD cards in larger sizes. Lexar's 32x Secure Digital Cards will also work fine in most models, and also test this fast (even though Lexar only calls them 32x cards). I have yet to see anyone with my camera model having problems with these cards. In contrast, I've seen numerous problems with other brands.

Now, your camera may work fine with any of them. However, based on problem reports I've seen, I'd be very cautious.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:27 PM   #3

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...p?EdpNo=579348

thats the lexar model, but im getting it from a different store here in toronto...that seems to be an 8x model, but the sandisk is their standard model...

i have a toshiba camera, a pdr-m500...do you think i should just get a 256meg card to be safe?

and just to be clear, what you're saying is that a 512meg lexar card is safer to put in my toshiba camera than a 512meg sandisk card?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:18 PM   #4
Administrator

If you can verify that the card from Lexar is made in Japan, then it will probably be fine. However, some of their older cards appear to be made in China, with Sandisk style codes on the back.Lexar's newer 32x High Speed cards all seem to work fine.

As for the difference between 256mb versus 512mb, it doesn't matter, as far as reliability is concerned, based on reports that I've seen.

I do not know how "finnicky" your Toshiba is about memory type. I can only tell you that I personally would not trust most cards, and would stick to either Panasonic, Simpletech, or Lexar's "high speed 32x" Secure Digital cards for my camera. I've seen too many problem reports with other types.

This is their High Speed32x 256mb Card (on the same site you were looking at). Note that the card is marked "high speed", whereas the standard card is not. The 32x High Speed 256mb Card is only $20.00 more than their standard card:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&CatId=380

Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:42 PM   #5

ok, if there is no reliability or stability difference between the 256 and 512 then one decision has been made, i'll be going with 512...

i dont think my camera should be finnicky about the memory, its only a few months old now, and has been on the market for a year i think...the manual says that its max capacity is 512, so im right on the edge there...

these reports you mention, where did you find them? do you have a link or anything?

and dont these cards all come with a 5 year warranty? if they have problems couldnt you get them repaired under warranty?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:56 PM   #6

Trust me the high speed ones are worth the extra money if you have a 3+ megapixel camera. I have a Sandisk Standard SD card and find it very slow, compared to my old Lexar CF 32x card (2 different cameras, the Canon S30 and HP R707).

The cards usually come with a warranty, where the companies tend to just replace them, since there is really nothing to repair on them. I just wish there were more places around me (other than Henry's) that carried the Panasonic SD cards.

polar905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Administrator

Redman wrote:
Quote:
ok, if there is no reliability or stability difference between the 256 and 512 then one decision has been made, i'll be going with 512...

i dont think my camera should be finnicky about the memory, its only a few months old now, and has been on the market for a year i think...the manual says that its max capacity is 512, so im right on the edge there...

these reports you mention, where did you find them? do you have a link or anything?

and dont these cards all come with a 5 year warranty? if they have problems couldnt you get them repaired under warranty?
As I mentioned in my first post, Konica-Minolta had specific warnings about Sandisk cards in their compatibilty charts. They have since removed the specific warnings, but just don't show Sandisk Secure Digital as being compatible anymore:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500

Since I probably had one of the first of thesecameras (Konica KD-510z, a.k.a, Minolta G500) in the country, I see more problem reports than most users (users e-mailing me with problems and asking what to do about it). Also, I spend a lot of time on the forums, and see numerous problem reports in posts.

As recently as yesterday, one user in a forum post (in a Minolta forum on another site) reported that out of 4 Sandisk Cards, all 4 failed. He decided to give away his last replacement card, rather than trusting it in his camera.

Ihave also seen reports from other model camera owners (for example, a Canon SD110 that tried 2 different Sandisk SD Cards that caused memory errors on the camera. I have also seen reports of Sandisk SD cards not functioning correctly (corrupted images) in an HP model 850. A Panasonic card worked fine.

All of these models support cards up to 512mb. If you want to trust them in your Toshiba (instead of paying just a tiny bit more for a high speed card), then that's up to you. But, if you have hundreds of photos on a card, and the card fails, thenyou have lost those images -- even if the manufacturer will replace the card under warranty.

I'll let you in a secret. 3 Manufacturers jointly developed Secure Digital Media: Sandisk, Toshiba, and Panasonic. If you are using any other brand of card, chances are, they are simply "rebranded" cards from one of the big 3 Secure Digital Manufacturers.

Take my advise or leave it.

Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:34 PM   #8

the average xfr rate is determined by both the camera (including buffer)and the card memory type. in the blue red sandisk cards (all types) they are definately the econo models using the older type memory structure. go to the ultra II series and you can have one of the fastest cards around (at this point in time). now the other side of the coin is your camera and its ability to push your data from its cache to your card. on the digicams no company seens to want to admit to the transfer rates on said cameras. i can guarentee that a sandisk ultra II or ATP, or Delkin pro,or a lexar 32x cards will take more then any digicam can give at xfr speed. where the real difference is is the pro cameras such as the eos1dm2 which can deliver a whopping 7.3mb into the card. unfortunately the card limitations ar at 512 and 1gb (coming soon) and that camera produces some fairly large RAW fils and fill 512mb cards rapidly

Ref: http://65.110.81.28/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

my 1Ds can deliver 10 images (any type)at 3fps before it buffers out. the fastest card transfers at about 1.9MB/s

a 1Dm2 can pop of 20 RAW frames or 40 jpg frames at 8+fps. the fastest cf card sucks it in at 4mb/s
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:50 PM   #9

i apologize, i dont understand something... how can sandisk be a developer of the secure digital merdia format, and then have a product thats seemingly riddled with problems from what you say? shouldnt sandisk have a firm grasp on making sd cards that work if they are part of the people who developed that technology?

and i just looked up the price of the 512 panasonic sd card, and its $155 CDN more than the sandisk...

dont get me wrong JimC, i welcome and appreciate your advice, and im trying to take it into consideration, im just a little confused about what you're saying...before posting here i was certain id be getting a sandisk but now you've put a doubt in my mind...

like you said,"3 Manufacturers jointly developed Secure Digital Media: Sandisk, Toshiba, and Panasonic. If you are using any other brand of card, chances are, they are simply "rebranded" cards from one of the big 3 Secure Digital Manufacturers." but you also said that the lexar 32x will be fine, isnt the lexar one of those 'rebranded' cards you're talking about? and as i said above, if sandisk was a joint developer, with toshiba nonetheless, then im just finding it hard to see that a sandisk card will result in card errors on my toshiba camera... i dont mean to act like a smart ass or something, im just genuinely confused..
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:09 PM   #10

sandisk is the original developer of the cf format. the sd format was put forth by panasonic and both were put out as open standards.

sandisk has 3 consumer lines: the old red/blue standard line (economy), the ultra II line (the high end) and the extreme line (you're still willing to spend more well thenwe'll give you a little more) both the ultra and extreme have lifetime warrantees

all in all sandisk is not riddled with problems. being that they must both meet minimum standards to meet their respective goal to qualify as the trademark products CF and SD. as the products mature there will be some issues.

cf cards were more apt to having issues due to design. each card has a controller embedded in it there were and occasionally are today hand shaking (com) problems with certain devices. that in turn can cause speed issues and variables from device to device

sd on the other hand has no controller. it is embedded in the device you plug it into. that then determines the transfer speed to the memory. then of couse there is the speed of the memory and how it interfaces with the devices controller

the memory. every few months there is improvements in the memory speed if you case those numbers you will spend lots of money chasing a ghost. lexar is piping in their new 80x products as i type. the price will match its marketed speed. then of couse sandisk will retaliate with even faster products and so on and so forth. i have said this many times marketing is the driving force.

as to what you see and what you get. there are only so many fabs to produce so many products. you bring your design to toshibas or sandisks fab have then sign certain non disclosureagreements and thy put your product out to your spec not just rebranding your design. lexar uses US for cf and japan for sd. the paper trail can lead to a few fabs in either country.

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote