Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:37 AM   #11
NHL

This is the reason why: http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...7425811790.htm

``Over the long haul, digital cameras could maintain their foothold in the top-end market but in the mid-range market the competition will be stiff, but still in favor of camera phones''
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:46 AM   #12

Sorry, JimC! I only read the brand and type in your post, went directly to Steve's review site, was blown away by the image quality, then even ordered at German branch of Amazon a used 3340z!

Let's see if amazon will find someone who'll get rid of the 3340z in the next 4 weeks.

I doubt it, though. It's just too good a cam ...

The only thing that bugs me is the Smart Media Cards. At max. 128 MB they don't hold many JPGs or even TIFFs (otherwise it's a good thing there's a TIFF Mode).

shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:14 PM   #13
Administrator

shutterbuggy:

That'sthe OlympusC-3040z (not C-3340z). I see your earlier post had it right, so it's only a typo I'm sure.

Well, there were other models using this CCD,with lenses about the same brightness as the Oly's, that used CompactFlash.

One is the Epson PhotoPC 3000z, which has an F/2.0 - F/2.5 lens (I actually owned this camera at one time). However, it had it's share of "quirks", too -- so it's not on my "highly recommended list" (although it could take some superb pics).

Epson also came out with a newer model, the Epson PhotoPC 3100z, that used the same lens and sensor, so you may want to look into it.

There were also several other models with the identical lens design as the Epson 3000z/3100z models (only the S70 lens was supposedly a Carl Zeiss designed lens, so it may have used different glass/lens coating). In all other respects, the lenses on these models appeared to be identical, and this was noted by more than one professional reviewer.

These were the Sony DSC-S70, the Toshiba PDR-M70, and the Casio QV-3000EX.

IMO, the Oly had the "cleanest" images, and best color renditionout of the bunch, even though they all used the samel CCD.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:38 PM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
shutterbuggy:

That's the Olympus C-3040z (not C-3340z). I see your earlier post had it right, so it's only a typo I'm sure.
Thank God it is - I ordered the right one at Amazon!

Btw, is there a Smart Media Card adapter available where you can put e.g. 2 SD cards and put that into the 3040z? I want to use my two 256-MB SD cards.

If so, maybe the cam can't read more than 128 MB?

I know, an odd question. I just want to use what I already bought.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:41 PM   #15
Administrator

I don't know of any Smartmedia to SD adapters (although I can't say for sure that one doesn't exist). However, I doubt the camera is designed to use anything over 128MB of memory anyway.

BTW, there is no guarantee that you'll get one that works as good as new. Sometimes CCD's develop "hot pixels" as they age, and switches, contactsand buttons can wear out. It's a darn shame nobody makes a camera like this anymore.

I hope you get one that's in "like new" condition in every way!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:13 PM   #16

I dunno. Technology has definitely improved drastically - that is all I can say. At a certain point, the camera companies will surely find another feature to pump-up with marketing. Probably optical zoom with image stabilization will be next. That way Soccermoms can take pics of little Timmy hitting a baseball 100 yards away.

Until then, it's megapixels.
Snooptonydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:32 PM   #17
Administrator

Snooptonydog wrote:
Quote:
I dunno. Technology has definitely improved drastically - that is all I can say. At a certain point, the camera companies will surely find another feature to pump-up with marketing. Probably optical zoom with image stabilization will be next. That way Soccermoms can take pics of little Timmy hitting a baseball 100 yards away.

Until then, it's megapixels.
Yep, given the high ISO performance levels of some of these newer models, you just about have to have image stabilization in many lighting conditions.

I agree that technology has improved -- especially in areas of camera performance and image processing techology. Although, it's a darn shame that they didn't concentrate on improving dynamic range, and reducing noise levels at the same time by sticking with larger sensors in consumer cameras. Instead, in these areas, cameras seem to be going in the wrong direction.

Of course, Megapixels sells cameras now. Also, users want smaller and more compact models -- requiring smaller CCD's. However, I doubt that most consumers realize the downside to this approach -- especially considering the "Marketing Hype" manufacturers are feeding them.

Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:21 PM   #18

a "newbie" using a new digital camera:

"Hey everyone. I just got one of those new easy-to-use 12 megapixel ultra-compact pocket cameras. All I know about it is that it has a 4000 by 3000 pixel 1/4" sensor, whatever that means, and a 28mm to 100mm focal length range. I don't have a *censored* clue what that is!
Anyway, I thought this $350 camera was supposed to be super easy to use, but I am having horrible problems with it!!! I tried to take some pictures of my grammar school age kids outside under starlight playing some very active games, but the pictures came out very dark and extremely grainy and were blurred so bad I couldn't recognize who was who!!
I want pictures under starlight that are nice and bright, not grainy, and tack sharp, of my very active children. I can't use the flash, because they would stop what they were doing, and I would only be able to get one picture. I'm willing to spend a little more money, so what camera should I get for $400? I will want to be able to take a very small portion of the picture (like 1/4" wide on a 4x6 print) and blow that up to a 17x22 portrait and have it look tack sharp. I also want to be able to take wide-angle shots and be able, when blowing it up to a 36 by 48, to see a lot of detail. What camera do I have to get?"

So... when it comes to this, what would you tell the mom trying to take pics of her kids in the dark without a flash on a camera with a tiny sensor and a lot of megapixels?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:29 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't know of any Smartmedia to SD adapters (although I can't say for sure that one doesn't exist). However, I doubt the camera is designed to use anything over 128MB of memory anyway.
Not too sure about the 128mb limit on that camera...I used 256mb cards in my Oly C2100 UZI all the time. I do agree about the poor decision of using a 5mp sensor for an 8mp camera. I opted for the 5mp Dimage A1 vs the 8mp Dimage A2 because the image quality of the A1 is much better (IMHO).
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:35 PM   #20
Administrator

pianoplayer88key

I'm not sure I understand all ofwhat you want. Those technical details you're mentioning are prettycomplicated. However, I saw a description of a real cool looking camera at Wal-Mart's web site.

The product description sounds like it's GREAT, especially considering the "crisp color"! Here's what Wal-Mart is saying about it:

"With its ability to store up to 52 images in crisp color as well as capture short movies, Vivitar's 3350 packs a whole lot of functionality into a cool-looking, compact body. For the incredibly low price, it's the perfect palm-sized way to preserve the moments you want to remember forever."

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...741#long_descr

P.S. --I heard the Barbie Cam was pretty cool, too -- but it doesn't look like Wal-Mart sells it anymore.