Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:14 PM   #1

Default looking for SLR with high burst rate for $2000

Hi,

I need an SLR with a decent burst rate. I want to shoot streetscenes, spontaneous headshots etc. Any suggestions other than the Canon eos D60? I do not want to spend more than $2000 to 2500 max. Thank you in advance for your help, cordially, Aryen
aryenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:27 PM   #2

high burst rate? 3 fps? 5 fps? what are you willing to give up for that speed?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:05 AM   #3

Just for your info.
Highest burst rate of 15fps you can find in a non dslr, which is the Olympus E-100RS (1.5MP) available at about $449 from olympus.
ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:49 AM   #4

Default short shutter lag instead of burst rate

Thanks for the info, I meant a short shutter lag, a burst rate of 2-5 fps would be enough. Shutter lag is measured in tenths of seconds ? I want to shoot facial expressions in street scenes, hence the need for short delay. So are we looking at something below .2 secs or so?

Thanks again for your help, Arjen
aryenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 7:40 AM   #5

Minolta 7HI depending on resolution and light levels can shoot as high as 7 fps in UHS at reduced image size of 1280x960 at full 2560x1920 it can be 3fps. unlike film cameras you cannot just fire away until you 36 shot roll is done. in short it won't replace my F5 on this level. you have a buffer generally 32 MB in most nonpro cameras. this has a 64MB. once the buffer is filled it must be flushed to the card. if you shoot intermittently 3frms here and there you'll have no trouble at all.
shutter lag is all but nonexistant now on these. i have a 7i which is damn fast by digital standards. the AF in single shot is real fast too. continuous is faster but more chance of focus issues. even in low light this beats all the current digicams in my opinion. the availability to use a hs5600d or hs3600d strobes (big) either on camera, cable, or even built in wireless(corrected) in all aspects again is ahead of any other manufacturer.
lens- is the equivlent to a 28-200 f2.8-3.5
good wide reasonable tele
manual zoom just like a slr. no pushbuttons less to go wrong.
shoots RAW at continuous for 5 frames before buffer time
got rid of 640x480 mode (no one used it) and added superfine mode(only 2.5:1 compression-literally lossless compression. big images though onlly 3frms continuous until buffer time.

i will quote another owner of another camera which in my opinion does not perfom as well. "i can't believe they put all that in this little camera".
whats missing- a vertical shutter release. looks are still kind of funky. it grows on you once it performs for you.

there are other points that have not been covered. and i have no doubt that there will be many pro/con opinions out on the boards. the only thing to do is go and try it out.
mine is being delivered this week.

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by sjms]
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:01 AM   #6
NHL

just a clarification, the HS5600D and HS3600D are not RF, but IR controlled OR in the 7i, 7Hi , or all film Xi cameras controlled through two digital pulses train at the beginning and end of the main flash burst (if it's enabled) from the camera built-in flash (or another HS5600D and HS3600D mounted on the camera hotshoe)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 9:04 AM   #7

oops! sorry overshot there. fingers ran away before brain could catch up. it has been corrected.

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by sjms]