Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 22, 2002, 2:24 PM   #1

Default Question: Which camera can reliably take great pictures with

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I am trying to decide which camera to get my bro for his 21st.
He likes taking photos but he is the type of person who values simplicity. I am looking for a camera that will not disaapoint in terms of image quality, but at the same time, won't take a great deal of adjusting/editing etc to yield the best shot.
Is there a camera that I can safely get for my bro, that will suit this type of criteria?

Price range: 350-600
dorae006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2002, 2:32 PM   #2

If you spend over $400 on a name brand you should get decent results. I would look at Canon and Nikon cameras in that price range in a store.

Next, look at reviews of the models you liked on line and check out sample picks. After you decide, shop online and save a little cash.

For more money you are usually paying for more MP, better optical zoom, more options and controls in some cases, and I'm one of those that feel for products at this level Canon and Nikon optics are very high quality.
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 12:07 AM   #3

You do not need to spenf $400. A coolpix 2500 can be had for abiut 250!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 6:50 AM   #4

Default Easy to use camera

I would recommend Nikon, Kodak, Olympus, Cannon, Fuji, Sony, etc. All of these cameras have point and shoot as their default settings. I would recommend at least a 3 or 4 megapixel camera in any of these brands
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 7:49 AM   #5

if your looking for the turnkey point and shoot i think Steves is on the right track. the Nikon 2500 or the 3500. modern, simple, and effective. oh yeah, reasonably priced too.

[Edited on 9-23-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:36 AM   #6
lg

Default Olympus C-2100 - easy to use, takes great pics!

I'd suggest the Olympus C-2100. The 2MP resolution is enough to provide sharp and clear prints up to 8"x10." It takes excellent photos that are properly exposed virtually all the time; the flash doesn't wash out photos when it is used, and it has a digitally stabilized 10x optical zoom that you won't find on hardly any other camera. This means that you can take photos of things far off without blurring the image. Although I shoot in automatic most of the time, it has manual, aperture, and shutter priority modes; additionally, it has all of the features of most other top notch cameras. It also includes rechargeable batteries, a charger, and a remote.

[Edited on 10-1-2002 by lg]
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 9:29 AM   #7

any of these would do. my only reservation with the oly these days is with the SM cards. since they announced the "new" memory format they intend to support that might and i say might mean a lane change in product ideas from them. the product is good and there is no arguement in that. its just that a cf based camera has certain advantages. even the e20 supports cf along with sm.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:31 AM   #8

All digicams can be used in a point-and-shoot mode so look for the other features you want as the primary issues.

The biggest problem with point-and-shoot mode with all cameras is exposure. If there is a fair amount of sky in the frame, the forground is likely to be under exposed. With digicams, there is the additional issue of white balance. If that is set to auto, a big expanse of sky/water/red wall/... can mess up the color. So I'd suggest one feature to look for is a way to set the white balance to daylight/tungsten/.... without having to dig three layers deep in the menu system.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2002, 8:01 PM   #9

look at the dimage S404 or F100 great cameras. 4MP too.
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote