Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:32 PM   #1

I just purchased a Kodak DX7440, my first digital camera. Now I need a memory card and am having a hard time making a decision despite the fact that I consider myself somewhat techy.

My camera takes an SD card, and it has a caution that it may not be compatible with high speed or Ultra II cards so I think I am going to stick with a regular SD. Does that sound like a good idea?

Any brand recommendations?PNY, Lexar, Sandisk, SimpleTech, Kingston, Kodak, something else? I'm leaning in the direction of getting two 256 cards rather than one 512.

Thanks in advance, FrancieL
FrancieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:03 PM   #2
Administrator

FrancieL wrote:
Quote:
My camera takes an SD card, and it has a caution that it may not be compatible with high speed or Ultra II cards so I think I am going to stick with a regular SD. Does that sound like a good idea?
Where exactly did you see this caution you speak of, and what was the source (manual, something Kodak included with your camera, etc.)?

I've found the opposite to be true in some models (faster cards are often more reliable in my camera model, which is not a Kodak).

I frequently recommend Panasonic or Simpletech Secure Digital Cards (10mb/second) in larger 256mb and 512mb sizes. The slower cards do not function reliably in my camera. In fact, in the largest size, the ONLY card approved by Konica-Minolta in my camera is a Panasonic Card (which is much faster than most).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:21 PM   #3

The manual says "we cannot guarantee compatibility with 'high-speed' SD cards such as xSD or ultra-2; these cards are designed primarily for video or audio." I have seen acomment elsewhere from a Kodak user who had trouble with an ultra II card. Thanks, Francie
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:46 PM   #4
Administrator

I do not doubt the problems with the Sandisk Ultra II. I have seen multiple reports of both out of the box failures, and a card failure after two weeks of use.

No Sandisk Secure Digital cards (in any size) are approved for use in my camera. Konica-Minolta used to show the smaller Standard Sandisk Cards (through 128mb) as being compatible with my camera, but they recently removed all Sandisk Secure DigitalCards, in all sizes, from their list of tested cards for it.

The most reliable cards, inmy opinon, are the Panasonic and Simpletech cards. These happen to be 10mb/second in larger sizes.

In a slower card in 256mb size, the Toshiba Secure Digital card would probably be a good choice. These are approved for use in my model in this size (but not in 512mb size, where only the Panasonic 512mb card is listed as compatible)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:26 PM   #5

I've seen some great reviews of both the brands you mention, but they are both high speed. I may just take a chance and try one of those. I find it really frustrating that Kodak gives no info about brand compatibility. Guess they want you to buy their SD cards.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:51 PM   #6

I have a 7440 and currently use a two year old Sandisk 64MB MMC card and a two year old SanDisk 128MB SD cardeither of which keeps the ready light blinking for about 12 seconds after a shot. This is not so bad beause there is a good sized buffer permitting 6 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger. Then there is about a minute wait for the ready light to go out.

The internal memory is notmuch, if any, faster. Time will also vary with the size of file as determined by the shooting mode.

I have the SimpleTech ProX 256 card on order -in the hands of UPS and scheduled to arrive on the 27th. I'll try to compare its performance.

There are reports thatthere is not a lot of improvement in the DX6490 using faster cards. We'll see what happens with the DX7440 next week.

John
jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:12 PM   #7

Francie,

The SimpleTech 256 SD card arrived today and it functions well in the DX7440. It's a fast card, with 10/10 capability so the question of compatability is answered.

In the other hand, the speed is not that much greater. It does materially cut the time it takes to write a full buffer (wait time after about 6 shots to let the camera "recover") but this is not all that important. Other things seemfaster, too, but only by a very small margin - if at all.

I've been using some two year old SanDiskcards and they get the job done. One good test is whether a card can accept the movie mode with no interruption and the old and new work equally well for me.

John

jdm124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the report. I've ordered the same card since it's compatible and the brand has gotten good reviews. Francie