Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:50 PM   #1

I need a nice objective opinion. I'd describe myself as an advanced amateur/enthusiast. Is it worth trying to sell any of these images? You're all relative strangers, but camera enthusiasts, so I feel confident I'll get some honest feedback. I want to know:

The worst of these are unfortunately only 2MP but still print well enough that I'd buy them at a Sunday market. I realize that for some of them there would be issues as I'd obtained no releases for any of this. I'm guessing I'll have to throw away the zoo pics for this reason.
A) Are some/any of them good enough?

B) Am I wasting my time since I only recently got an SLR and most of these pics are 4MP?

C) I was looking at possibly applying at OzImages but this will cost me around AUD350 for two years (around the USD200 mark). Lot of money if I'm fooling myself.
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~sammy...otography.html
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~sammy...mp/zootmp.html

Here's a set I'm still in the process of editing so a lot of duplicates etc. will be removed.
http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~sammy...2004/2004.html

Thanks for your time.

--
Sammy
Sammy Yousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Sammy:

You may want to know that the text color you chose is not readable using the default "Board Theme". Go to "My Account" (button at top of page), "Preferences", and change the "Board Theme" to Default. You'll see what I mean.

As far as selling photos, I honestly believe you'll be fooling yourself. For one thing, if you go to a photo sharing web site like http://www.pbase.com , you will see many, many albums and photos from very skilled photographers. So, I just don't see how a site like http://www.ozimages.com would be a good way to display them.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that ozimages exists for one thing -- to make money off of photographers from membership fees. Do yourself a favor, try to contact photographers who use them, and see if they have ever really sold anything.

Also, I do know some very skilled photographers that have their own web sites and sell photos. However, they really don't make enough doing it to amount to much. They enjoy photography, and share it with others. That is their reward.

I am not a professional (photography is only a hobby), but I honestly think you're "barking up the wrong tree". Also, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I don't see any images that I would be willing to pay for.

Perhaps others will respond as well, so you'll get a better variety of opinions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 7:42 PM   #3

I would not think you would have to get a release from the lion?

As far a selling, look at from two directions. An artist and an illustrator. Illustrators do work "on demand" for an established need. Weddings for example. An artist has to be very very good to entice a buyer and this often means a good knowledge of the subject matter as well as photography.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:52 PM   #4

I'll throw in my penny...
Some of the images are very good but some are very noisy or hazy. You could look at placing them with Stock Image houses, but they look for close to perfection in the images they accept.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:02 AM   #5

normc,

Unfortunately some of my best photos are zoo photos, and the use of images taken at a zoo for commercial purposes does require a release. The zoo owns the animals, the enclosures and everything else.

Sammy
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:07 AM   #6

Sammy, any 'stock library' or similarthat requires you to pay them to list, is a rip off IMHO.

Try: progalleries.com.au, I'm considering signing up myself as soon as I sort out the matters of business name registration and acquiring an ABN. Basically it's like any otherimages gallery but you partner with a local Fuji lab of your choice, so if/when someone orders a print, Progalleries contacts the printing lab and they send out to the customer. You hopefully receive a monthly payment of your sales minus associated costs (as is usual in business, everyone gets a slice).

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 2:41 AM   #7

Onyx. I'm confused. According to this link:

http://www.progalleries.com.au/en/Co...muchdoesitcost

membership is $220.

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
Sammy, any 'stock library' or similar that requires you to pay them to list, is a rip off IMHO.

Try: progalleries.com.au, I'm considering signing up myself as soon as I sort out the matters of business name registration and acquiring an ABN. Basically it's like any other images gallery but you partner with a local Fuji lab of your choice, so if/when someone orders a print, Progalleries contacts the printing lab and they send out to the customer. You hopefully receive a monthly payment of your sales minus associated costs (as is usual in business, everyone gets a slice).

Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:16 AM   #8

Crap, maybe they aren't all that they're cracked up to be after all...

Well if you find a way to sell your images, let us all know.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:21 AM   #9

First off, it doesn't matter if you have an SLR or not. Good photographers can take a good picture (assuming the equipment doesn't get in their way) with most cameras out there.

My view of the shots in your first link is that some of the sunset are nice. A few of them look like they could be made into postcards and sold in the right location (to a tourist market.)

On several of them you didn't even follow basic rules like keeping the horizon level. That will hurt you.

How serious are you about wanting to sell some pictures?

If you want to take it seriously, try to get your hands on one of these books (check a local library!):
John Shaw's Business of Nature Photography: A Professional's Guide to Marketing and Managing a Successful Nature Photography Business
by (not surprisingly) John Shaw. He is a very good photographer and a very good writer.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

And:
2004 Photographer's Market (Photographer's Market, 2004)
by Donna Poehner

and
Sell & Resell Your Photos: Learn How to Sell Your Pictures Worldwide
by Rohn Engh

If you want to take it seriously. The first one really isn't the market you're looking for, but from what I've been told it is a VERY GOOD book. So you still might learn something from it.

JimC's suggestion of making your own web page isn't a bad idea, but if you really want to make money on it you have to get your name out. That requires reading those books above.

Some cities (you don't say where you are, but I can guess by the link and photos) allow you to get a license and set up a stand on the street. It has (sorta) low over head, you can do it whenever you feel like doing it and you get direct interaction with your customers. It can be disheartening if you stand there an no one stops. But if someone does and you talk with them... then you get a jewel.

This is an issue I've been dealing with recently. The time spent is often not always worth the monetary reward. So you really have to decide why you are doing this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:27 AM   #10

The first thing any photographer needs to ask themselves is "who need or wants to buy the photos". The answer is, more often than not, nobody.

To be blunt, photos like these are plentiful. Anyone going to a zoo can shoot pictures of lions and tigers. There are so many scenery pictures available in this world they can't be counted. In other words, what is your unique selling position?

I looked at your whale pictures. I've seen whales like that in person and it's an exciting emotional experience. But you have to separate that from what the photo says. How are the photos different than what all of the tourists got on their cameras? Do they convey the emotion and power of the actual experience?

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not putting your photos down in any way, I'm talking about the market place. Do you have photos available that are technically excellent, unique in subject matter, well composed, emotionally effective, different than what's already out there? Do they make a statement? Will they get an art editors attention? Those are questions you have to ask yourself.

The one thing to remember is that the photos must speak for themselves.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote