Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:36 AM   #1

I got a new printer a HP photosmart 7660 and with it was the software to print the photos. It will not work and Ive tried everything to get it to do so including reinstalling and downloading patches but it wont work (it did work originally). Now Im looking for a free download to print photos that is compatable with the HP printer. Not the kodak easyshare. I would be gratefull for any sites listed.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:59 PM   #2
Administrator

I sort of like the HP software, if it's the same software I'm using with my HP printer(lets you put multiple photos of different sizes on a page, etc.).

What is it doing whenyou try to print? Are you sure it's not just the printer drivers, or something wrong with the cable to the printer (i.e., can you print a test page, or print from other applications)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 1:53 AM   #3

Ive replaced drivers and renewed cables. It worked for the first day and now it wont talk to the printer, comes up with an error message. It will print out on all other applications except the HP software.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:48 AM   #4
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. What does the software do when you try to print?

In other words, you can still select Print, right?Does it stillcome up with a printer dialoge box (where you can choose the printer and printer properties, etc.)?

I hate to say it, but I've got lots of software on my PC for images, and I still use only two products for most of my printing. One is the HP Photo Printing Software, and the other is the Epson "Film Factory" Software.

I like the HP Templates, since I can "drag and drop" photos into them, filling the page with different size prints.

I like the Epson Film Factory Software, because of it's Album Pages Features (lets me select templates, place text under each photo, etc.).

Both of these packages came with products I purchased. I'm not sure which product I got the Epson Film Factory software from, as I've owned both an Epson Camera (PhotoPC 3000z) and an Epson Printer before.

I do know that Epson sells their Film Factory separately, though. You can get it from http://www.epsonsoftware.com

I've heard good things about Mike Cheney's QImage Pro (templates, etc.). Many argue that it's the best photo printing software you can buy. You can see it at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/

However, you are looking for something free.

Personally, I'd try to get the HP Software working. It's not a driver problem, because no packages would print to it if it was. So, it's got to be something wrong with the actual HP Photo Printing Software installation. I'd make sure to uninstall the HP Photo Printing Software (not the printer drivers) and reinstall it

Then, I'd call HP Tech Support for help ifnot successful in getting it to function, if it were me (since I really like their printing software).

There are many free software packages for image editing that can print. However, I don't know of any that give you the functionality of doing what the HP does. For example, http://www.irfanview.com is a popular free image editor than can also print a photo, but not multiple images/page like the HP software.

Perhaps others will respond with suggestions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:59 AM   #5

have tried reinstalling but no luck yet. have found another programme called picsprint which allows manual postioning of photos and sizes onto one sheet of paper. If i cant get the HP to work I will use that for printing out multiple small photos, and I use photoshop7 to print out single A4 sized shots. I also have a canon zoom browser that allows me to print photos and has clip art to make up album style sheets. I still want to get the HP software working though.