Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:59 PM   #1

Hello all,

FYI...

Some BOTTOM FEEDER at Club Photo, where I place my dig photos,who does NOT hold a candle to the noble flounder , elected to replace my avatar and ALL the photos links I have ever posted here with an ad for 25 cent photos.

This was NOT my doing.

I have sent an "email of concern" to the hump chump(s) of Club Photo.

We shall see what happens...

I am extremely thankful that Steve now allow forums member to directly attach photos. This I will do, 100% of the time, going forward.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:13 PM   #2
Administrator

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Some BOTTOM FEEDER at Club Photo, where I place my dig photos,who does NOT hold a candle to the noble flounder , elected to replaced my avatar and ALL the photos links I have ever posted here with an ad for 25 cent photos.

This was NOT my doing.

I have sent an "email of concern" to the hump chump(s) of Club Photo.

We shall see what happens...

I am extremely thankful that Steve now allow forums member to directly attach photos. This I will do, 100% of the time, going forward.
I saw the avatar earlier today. At first it offended me (because it appeared to be advertising for someone). I looked at your profile for obvious signs of someone posing as a forum member in order to advertise their company, and did not see any signs of this. Youlook to be a great asset to theforums here. In fact, I support your view on helping "newbies" when appropriate.

So, I figured that you must just like these guys a lot, and I"bit my tongue" and didn't say anything.

I figured it was Steve's call as to whether or not the avatar was appropriate. I considered sending you a PM about it, but did not. I probably should have.

I'm glad to see it's removed now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:47 PM   #3

Some sites do not allow direct linking, Tripod is notorious for replacing hotlinked images for their own advertising.

"Club Photo" sounds like a place who allows posting of photos but their main interest seems to be selling prints of posted photos.

If the links worked before, probably at a certain point your bandwidth exceeded a certain point and "Club Photo" switched direct links to the ad.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:03 AM   #4

Sounds like it's time to move your photos over to Photobucket. It's free and specifically setup for linking.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:26 AM   #5

Sorry digcamfan, I hope there wasn't anything sensitive or important with your photo collection on there that got changed/overwritten ot substituted for advertising.

At times like these, I wonder about the grand failure of the internet as a means of information sharing... it seems all too often it's abused as a marketting tool or business "strategy". :-x
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 3:11 PM   #6

You don't get what you don't pay for!

For instance, I don't understand how Photobucket survives...they must be doing something like selling email addresses to spammers, or maybe the links of the referrers.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:57 PM   #7

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
Some BOTTOM FEEDER at Club Photo, where I place my dig photos,who does NOT hold a candle to the noble flounder
But aren't all flounders bottom feeders (sorry about that).

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 9:46 PM   #8

Update...

No response to my email of "concern" toClub Photo yet...

If no response in a week, then no response will bepresumed their response with the presumption that Club Photo does not consider itself accountable.

Club Photo, btw, is not a free site though its price is reasonable.

Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:00 AM   #9

See if they have a policy or FAQ question covering "direct linking of photos".
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:52 AM   #10

Hi Mike,

Here is their policy on linking...always used to work before...

direct quote...

"Linking to Images"

"When you upgrade to Gold or Platinum you can link to and display your images on other sites (note this only applies for your thumbnail and medium resolution images). This feature works great for people who might want to show an image on eBay but don't have the ability to host their own image. To link to an image simply right click on the image you want to link to and copy the url of the image. Then put that url into the html of the page that you want to show the image on."

FYI...I have a platinum membership and do not link to my high res photos.