Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:02 AM   #1

Currently i have a Canon S40 but its sorta bulky and I'm looking to buy a S400 for 429.99 CAD with 1 year store warrenty. Would this be a safe buy? Has anyone had any bad experiences with refurbished cameras?
Michael Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:08 PM   #2

Depends on who it's refurbished by. Also, it would be better if you could get a Canon warranty instead.

Sometimes refurbished means as little as a package opened by the customer, but the customer didn't like it so they returned it and whoever "refurbished" it by putting the packing back together, but they can't sell it as "new".
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:38 PM   #3

it says
"This is a Canon Factory Refurbished item that has been completely checked and tested (most refurbished items are just returned goods to the manufacturer that were opened, displayed, or may contain minor appearance irregularities)"

its from henry's...and you get warranty from them.
Michael Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 6:06 PM   #4

I have not bought a Canon refurbished camera but I have bought a few Canon refurbished items (a few printers and a few scanners).

All have worked perfectly, here is my (probably flawed) feelings about refurbishment.

When an item is being made on a factory line it gets maybe 10 min of test after being assembled. The testing is done by low paid drones that look at the blinking lights.

When an item is returned they do an extensive test of the unit to find out if something is wrong or if it is a cockpit error. This testing is done by technicians that are of a higher level than the assembly drones. If something is wrong then the unit is diagnosed and repaired by the super tech that actually can figure out such things.

The net effect is that a refurbished unit is actually better tested and generally will havebetter quality than the production line stuff.

-----------------
Are there flaws in my idea, yea but so far it actually has worked that way for me. I also have one friend that bought a Canon 10D refurbished and has not had any complaints.

Personally I would just make sure the people will take it back and give a refund if it fails in the first 30 days. If it makes it past30 daysit probably is not the fact that it is a refurbished unit that caused it to fail.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:59 AM   #5

Also, Henry's is good about any problems...I get stuff at their Outlet store (just west of Queen & Church in Toronto) very often (I go there at least once a month and ended up with some amazing stuff and at bargain prices, including a $220 lens for $20 (CDN)).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote