Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2004, 11:36 AM   #1

What about this photo.I take this photo 1sec shutter speed and auto aperture.What is the best settings for night scene like this.Can anyone help me?

Attached Images

haldizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 12:00 PM   #2

It's beautifull enough , isn't it?:-)
Why not try all manual exposure (longer shutter , small aperture) ? in auto exposure, the camera tends to choose a big openning to gather light ( small F number) so you loose a bit deep of field.
BTW , your tripod is not vertical :?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:31 PM   #3
Administrator

Use a tripod, go full manual exposure using a smaller aperture (larger F/Stop Number), use a longer shutter speed (because the smaller aperture will require longer exposures), set your focus to Infinity, set your ISO speed to it's lowest value, and use the self timer (so that you don't cause camera shake from pressing the shutter button).

BTW, the smaller aperture (larger F/Stop Number) will most likely help keep the purple fringing down some.

You'll need to experiment with exposure (shutter speed/aperture) to get it looking "just right".

The aperture scale (in one stop increments) goes F/1.4, F/2.0, F/2.8, F/4.0, F/5.6, F/8.0, F/11, F/16, F/22... With each one stop move to a smaller aperture (larger F/Stop Number), you will need shutter speeds twice as long for proper exposure.

For example, ifthe shot you took above was using F/2.8 and a 1 second exposure, then you'd need to use a 2 second exposure at F/4.0; or a 4 second exposure at F/5.6, etc. if you wanted the exposure to look the same (provided ISO speed wasn't increased with Auto ISO for the shot -- you'll need to check the EXIF to see). Your posted photo did not contain the EXIF header, so I can't tell the settings you used.

Although, for full autoexposure, where thecamera would beshooting "wide open" in low light, the shot turned out pretty nice.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:24 AM   #4

Great pic. I would also suggest trying to straighten up the horizon prior to taking the pic. I often get so caught up in the pic, that I forget to make sure it is straight. Looks as though you set the camera on a wall or something, so you might not have had a choice in this.

I hope you don't mind, but I straightened it up, cropped it and gave it a quick color correction.

Jim: Great explanation regarding some settings, but the post says they are using an a75. Does the a75 have all of those manual features? Even if not, you still gave some great and very useful advise regarding some night photography.
Attached Images

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:50 AM   #5
Administrator

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
Does the a75 have all of those manual features?
According to Steve's review, it has full manual, aperture priority and shutter priority modes, and supports shutter speeds up to 15 seconds in manual exposure mode.

The smallest aperture is probably limited to around f/8 (typical for subcompact digicams). But, he shouldn't even need to stop it down that much to get rid of some of the purple.Most digicams tend to display more purple fringing when shooting wide open, so stopping down the aperture usually helps some.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:48 AM   #6

There is no information about that photo,i do not know why but i am sending another one with another photo

File NameIMG_0327.JPG
Camera Model NameCanon PowerShot A75
Shooting Date/Time24.07.2004 22:33:55
Shooting ModeManual
Photo Effect ModeOff
Tv( Shutter Speed )5
Av( Aperture Value )7.1
Metering ModeEvaluative
ISO Speed50
Lens5.4 - 16.2mm
Focal Length5.4mm
Digital ZoomNone