Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:35 AM   #1

I have an Optio S4 and I was wondering what exactly the "sharpness" setting does. I understand what sharpening is and I use Photoshop to increase sharpness as part of my post processing. But basically the S4's sharpness setting is like (-) ----- (+) So which of these settings is equal to the camera applying no sharpening? (this is what I want so that I can post process best). Is it the middle setting or the furthest to the left setting?

Does (-) mean that the picture has been made softer (ie sharpness actually removed) or that it has had no sharpening applied?

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well.
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:43 AM   #2

According to the camera review here at Steves, the slider will give you Hard-Normal-Soft, so I think you are right in your estimation.

You might just shoot the same EXACT shot in all three settings and you make the decision.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:37 PM   #3

Hi I have seen a thread on dpreview recently that addressed this from a person who contacted canon about simular settings on the S1.The short story is that for postprocessing the lowest in camera sharpness setting will give best results as you are not sharping twice (USM).Another keen photoshop user recomened turning downsaturation and contrast as it is easier to increase most settings in photo shop rather than try to recover over done images.If you search the canon talk forum for S1- sharpness you should be able find the thread.

Hope I been of help Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:08 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look. But I'd have thought having contrast and saturation set to their lowest settings might be unrecoverable in JPEG, obviously not in RAW, but my camera can't do that (well not properly).
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:50 PM   #5

[align=justify]Even the lowest sharpening setting in most cameras does a little sharpening. Your best bet for post processing is minimum sharpening because sharpening adds artifacts that can be enhanced in processing. It is always recommended to sharpen last in post processing.[/align]
[align=justify]

[align=justify]Contrast moves the white and black points toward or away from each other. You discard some image information at the extreme ends of the spectrum to get higher contrast. The reason to shoot with minimum contrast is to get the most dynamic range you can. Digitals don't have the dynamic range of film and that is especially true of the ones with small sensors. You get to make the decision whether you want to give up highlight or shadow in post processing to increase the contrast rather than have the camera discard information at both ends.[/align]
[align=justify][/align]
[align=justify]Once you shoot with minimum sharpening and contrast you are going to have to post process anyway. You might as well shoot at minimum saturation and do that in the image editor as well. I don't think medium saturation makes much difference in the final product though.[/align]
[/align]
[align=justify]I have a Photoshop action set up for each of my cameras. It brings them up to a crisp look in bulk, but I save the originals for any post processing I might want to do with them other than the action. Takes more space on the hard drive to have both the unprocessed and processed images, but I think it is worth it.[/align]
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6

Hi The thread I mentioned Is actually under S1 custom settings .My apoligies to any body who could not find the right link.Slipe has said almost exactly what is contained on that thread .Unfortunately I dont have anyphotoshop version yet. I have seen some action sets as described above that I would love to try.Looking forward to the day when I can do a proper PS course.

Brendon
Brendon is offline   Reply With Quote