Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:18 PM   #1

I have an older Casio 3.1 MP camera. Works pretty good for me, but the only problem is that in addition to the real picture, it also saves a low-res copy of each image in the memory card. The only purpose of this low-res image is to display picture in the LCD. The problem with that is that when I take my card to the digital print station at Walmart or Walgreens, the print station automatically displays ALL images, even the preview ones. It's hard to differentiate betweenthe "real" image and the preview, and the low-res, if printed by mistake, looks awful.

I've been thinking of buying a new 5MP camera (trying to decide between Kodak 7530, Sony P93, and Sony P100). Do these digital cameras behave the same way? How do you guys get the photos printed at the self service print stations?

brahmachari99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 2:32 PM   #2
Administrator

I've seen this issue come up before on Casio models. Apparently, there is a separate "Preview' Folder on the card for the low res images.

So, you could simply delete this folder before bringing the card in for prints. Also, make sure you've got the "Card Browser" feature turned off (you'll see it under the Setup menu choice). I've heard that in some models, this disables the thumbnail creation, too (mixed posts on it).

No, most cameras do not store a separate, low resolution image of the photos you take. Now, some newer "prosumer" and DSLR models do have the ability to store both a JPEG and RAW image file at the same time (but the printers would skip over the RAW files anyway.

The problem you are having (low rez and high rez JPEG images of each photo, resulting in getting two prints back) is unique to some Casio cameras as far as I know.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:40 PM   #3

Most cameras DO save a low resolution of the image but it's encoded in the JPEG in the Exif info. If you edit the image with an image editor that doesn't recognise Exif code will discard the Exif info and the low resolution image.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:51 PM   #4

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Most cameras DO save a low resolution of the image but it's encoded in the JPEG in the Exif info. If you edit the image with an image editor that doesn't recognise Exif code will discard the Exif info and the low resolution image.
Very true. A while back, Cat from TechTV had an issue with this. She took some topless photos for her friend, cropped the image down to just her eyes and posted the pic of her eyes on her website. Somebody saved the pic off of her site and opened it in PhotoShop. Seems there was an original thumbnail saved within the EXIF info of her photo. Boy was she shocked when topless photos of her sprang up on the net.

Here is some info I pulled off of the net -

"Photoshop generates small preview images for the pics it produces and hides them in the original image. If you change the image drastically, the preview thumbnail is changed too. But if you don't make a major change, and instead just crop the picture and resave it under the original file name, the preview thumbnail stays the same and reflects not what your image currently looks like but instead what the original looked like."

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:02 PM   #5
Administrator

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Very true. A while back, Cat from TechTV had an issue with this. She took some topless photos for her friend, cropped the image down to just her eyes and posted the pic of her eyes on her website. Somebody saved the pic off of her site and opened it in PhotoShop. Seems there was an original thumbnail saved within the EXIF info of her photo. Boy was she shocked when topless photos of her sprang up on the net.

Here is some info I pulled off of the net -

"Photoshop generates small preview images for the pics it produces and hides them in the original image. If you change the image drastically, the preview thumbnail is changed too. But if you don't make a major change, and instead just crop the picture and resave it under the original file name, the preview thumbnail stays the same and reflects not what your image currently looks like but instead what the original looked like."

Actually, cameras put in a thumbnail, too (as Mikefellh mentioned). That's why some browsers are very fast loading photos with thumbnails (they are reading the thumbnail out of the JPEG without needing to read the whole JPEG into memory).

As far as Photoshop not updating the thumbnail, that sounds like a bug in Photoshop (one that the girl is probably "ticked off" about). :-) That is, if the person that cropped the photo originally was using Photoshop. It may have been another editor that didn't update it properly.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 4:14 PM   #6

[align=justify]Most cameras don't display the thumbnails when you read the card unless you have something that can extract the image from the EXIF. I think your Casio is unique in doing that. None of my cameras display the thumbnails when viewing the file so they can be confused with the full image.[/align]

[align=justify]
[align=justify]Once you decide on a specific camera you might go on that board to check with owners, but I don't think you will find it to be a problem with most cameras.[/align]
[align=justify][/align]
[align=justify]I'm not familiar with Photoshop saving a thumbnail with an image unless it saves the original made by the camera with the EXIF. [/align]
If you want to e-mail an image you get a smaller file if you delete the EXIF with the thumbnail in cameras that store it there. Irfanview will save the image so it removes the EXIF – this is the save dialog in Irfanview. I'm guessing it won't work for your Casio though as it appears the thumbnail isn't in the EXIF. [/align]

[align=justify][/align]
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:27 PM   #7

I actually had an even older Casio. The reason for the thumbnail was not for showing on the display but was because the camera automatically made up web pages for all the pictures as you took them. The thumbnail was for an index page to your pictures.

This was not required and you could go into the setup menu and change the "Card Browser" mode to a selection that did not make thumbnails.

You might want to check your manual and see if that is what your camera is doing.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote