Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Administrator

Saracen wrote:
Quote:
So now I wonder, will the S410/S500's long shutter mode be adequate? I am presuming that in long-shutter mode it will use ISO50 and as small an aperture as possible? As far as I know we are talking shutter speeds in the 1/30-1/15s for the blur.

THanks.
No, these models don't have manual exposure. These modes only allow the camera's autoexposure to go slower than normal for night photos. You can't tell them to shoot at slower shutter speeds. Only the light will determine this.

Even if they did have manual exposure, you would still not be able to stop down the aperture enough for the effect you desire.

Most users that I've seen discussing this say that shutter speeds of 1/4 second or longer are needed for the desired effect. Some even advocate 1 second or longer exposures for an even "smoother" look.

BTW, a quick check of shutter speeds my camera would use at ISO 50, stopped down to it's smallest aperture (f/8.3) still required a 1/30 second exposure in today's light at my house (and it's overcast out right now).

Since the S400/S510 models will not allow you to control aperture, in the same lighting conditions, their Autoexposure algorithms would be selecting a much larger aperture, probably with shutter speeds at least twice as fast.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, these models only have two "real" apertures internal to the camera (with their values changing based on the amount of zoom used).So, the smallest aperture is only available at full zoom, and it will only select them in better light anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:22 PM   #12

I don't personally find aperture and shutter priority a necessity in a camera without a hotshoe for a flash. I often use manual mode though.

For action there is an action or sports mode. It will give you the fastest shutter for the available light. You can boost the ISO and it will still give the fastest shutter available for that ISO.

Portrait mode uses the widest aperture for blurring the background.

Any time you use aperture or shutter priority you have to crosscheck to make sure you are shooting within the available light, so you have to refer to the LCD and balance out your settings anyway. I find it just as easy to switch to manual in those circumstances where you want something other than what the pre-set or program modes will give you. It is probably more convenient on the S500 than other small cameras because manual is on the mode dial and you don't have to go screwing in the menus to come up with manual, aperture or shutter priority mode.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:03 AM   #13

I have an IXUS 500 - although it does offer the user the option of manually selecting a shutter speed, this is hidden deep in the menus that I would not consider it useful (a few posts up I notice one claim that it doesn't have it - see how usefully deeply hidden these features are?). The Canon S series and even the A series have Av and Tv modes at the turn of a dial which would no doubt increase ease of use considerably.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:57 AM   #14
Administrator

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
I have an IXUS 500 - although it does offer the user the option of manually selecting a shutter speed, this is hidden deep in the menus that I would not consider it useful (a few posts up I notice one claim that it doesn't have it - see how usefully deeply hidden these features are?).
You're right. I knew it at a slow shutter mode, but didn't realize you could set the shutter speed used.

In any event, I still think it'll be useless for trying to blur moving water. Because, your photo would be overexposed in Daylight if you tried to do this. For this kind of photography, you need a Neutral Density Filter, because you can't stop down the aperture enough to get proper exposure at slower shutter speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:05 PM   #15

I may be in the wrong forum becauseI don't recognize any of those camera models. I shoot with a Canon Digital Rebel. It can stop down to an F22, the sutter speeds are so long I can't read them 30" ??. I have recently started using full manual controls and have seen a major improvement in photos. The Canon has auto also but it seems to always do the same thing no matter what the situation.

For instance the auto with flash will default to a shutter speed of 60 and a wide aperture F3.5 or F4.0. But if your are shoting a group shot where you want both wide angle and a wide depth of field you need to increase to F8 or F11. When I shoot group shots I also increase shutter speed to 125 or 200. Both of these settings are going to rduce light into the lens so you will need an external flash.

The point is auto settings would never figure this out....

Attached Images

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote