Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:09 AM   #1

:flame::whack:

So...I tend to shoot a lot of pics, even if doing portraits, with the beauty and low cost of digital, I fire off quite a few to ensure capturing some nice natural looking photos. The way I am going, I will reach the 120,000 mark in a couple of years or so....then what?

Is it fairly easy and reasonably cheap to replace/repair? I also seriously question SOME dealers in the fact that it is quite easy for them to pass off a second hand camera as new, that way you have no idea how long the shutter mechanism has left!?!?

Am I reading too much into this? Does it REALLY matter? And is the 120,000 figure realistic? I don´t remember ever worrying about this in the past with my trusty old Chinon cm4-s (1st SLR in the 80´s). But then I didnt have the internet with its forums to pull at my paranoia strings.....:-?Oh! Whoa-is-me.....
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:00 AM   #2

I personally would not worry about it until it happens. By then, you may be looking for an upgrade, or more then likely, the camera may take far more shots then what is being advertised.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:19 AM   #3

A lot of digicams don't even have a mechanical shutter anymore, relying entirely on an electronic ccd shutter. That's why you do not hear a "click" (a real mechanical click) sound or feel vibration of the shutter. But the ones that do have a mehanica shutter would need to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair, and likely cost a hefty sum depending on the camera model. For instance, most companies will charge a flat fee of $300-400 for all major repairs for high-end models and DSLR's. At least that's my experience with Nikon, Olympus, and my friend had the same experience with Canon.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:48 PM   #4

I had an electronic Nikon camera for 15 years without shutter failure. I no longer own the camera, but it's probably still going strong. Yes, shutters can fail. Yours may never fail or it may. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:13 AM   #5
NHL

Camera with LCDs or EVFs usually don't have shutter otherwise how would you see through them electronically?

On high-end digicams there's a shutter, but it works in reverse and closing only after a picture is taken so that the charges are not disturbed while the CCD captured data are being shifted out. This shutter also is also used in slow exposure where the cameras take a 2nd shot with the shutter close and subtract out the dark frame for a relatively noise free picture at night.

If the shutter wears out in theses digicam, you might just lose some picture quality
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:12 AM   #6

Thanks for your replies....feel better now.....
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote