Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:23 AM   #1

How do I go about resizing a digital photo to use as an Avatar? I've tried and tried.... keep getting a message that my file is too big. I use a Mac and have Graphic Converter and also Photoshop 7.0 (which is way over my head) although I'm trying my best to learn it.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

As stated in the directions, you will need to get the av down to at least 200 pixels wide by 200 pixels tall. The file also needs to be 15K in size or less. If you are having difficulty with the file size, there should be some sort of JPG compression settings you can use. Try kicking up the compression a bit.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 9:59 PM   #3

I've squeezed my photo down to less than 200 x 200 but the file size is still almost 70k. I don't get how to reduce that. Are we talking compression like using Stuffit or a Zip program? Won't that really reduce the quality? 15k seems really small.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:44 PM   #4

TASS wrote:
Quote:
I've squeezed my photo down to less than 200 x 200 but the file size is still almost 70k. I don't get how to reduce that. Are we talking compression like using Stuffit or a Zip program? Won't that really reduce the quality? 15k seems really small.

Did you try saving it as .gif? My avatar here is 150 x 118 pixels and 6k. The same image in .jpg, only 108 x 85 pixels, was 21k.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:30 AM   #5

When you save your file (File, Save As...) there should be some sort of an Options button or Options setting that allow you to adjust the amount of compression that the JPG is saved with.

With my avatar, the original pic was well over a MB and using the JPG compression settings built into my image editor, I got it down to 12K.

Take a look at this link. And don't take any offence to the Dummies.com reference. Dummies books are great.

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...le/id-144.html

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote