Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:14 PM   #1

I have an Olympus Camedia C-3030Z Camera which I just got without a memory card. I try turning on the camera and it doesn't do anything at all is this normal? I know it doesn't have a memory card in it but shouldn't it at least show that there is no card in it or beep or something? Please help me. THANKS.
Cheese Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure the batteriesare fully charged (I'm assuming you are using NiMH Rechargeable batteries)?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:31 PM   #3

Yes the batteries are working fine but all I"m wondering is if the camera makes a noise or something showing that it needs a smartmedia card. Or if the camera I have is broken as it does not respnd at all without a smartmedia card.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:39 PM   #4

Try putting a memory card in it and see what it does. It may be designed so that it won't turn on without a card.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:48 PM   #5
Administrator

I posted this question on another forum. I'll let you know when I get any responses.

The only Olympus I've owned was the older C-2500L. To be frank, I don't remember it's behavior without media (it supported both Smartmedia and CompactFlash). Heck, it's unlikely I ever even tried to power it up without any media in it.

Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:49 PM   #6

But that's the thing it didn't come with a card and I don't have one. If I don't find out about this soon I'm afraid I'm going to have to pawn it.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 6:50 PM   #7

Hehe just saw the topic you made Thank yo very much as I was not able to post on that forum for some reason.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:26 PM   #8
Administrator

An UZI (C-2100UZ) owner replied, and indicated that his model shows "no card" when powered up without one. No c-3030z owners yet.

Where did you get the camera? Did theseller say it was working? Are you very sure the batteries are not to blame. Cheaper batteries may not have enough juice for it to work. High Capacity NiMH batteries are recommended. However, you should be able to at least get it to powerup with fresh AA Alakalines.

Are the battery contacts OK in the camera (no oxidation, etc.)? Try moving all switches, buttons, etc. too, in case one is stuck or has some oxidation under it.

Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:31 PM   #9
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
An UZI (C-2100UZ) owner replied, and indicated that his model shows "no card" when powered up without one. No c-3030z owners yet.

Where did you get the camera? Did theseller say it was working? Are you very sure the batteries are not to blame. Cheaper batteries may not have enough juice for it to work. High Capacity NiMH batteries are recommended. However, you should be able to at least get it to powerup with fresh AA Alakalines.

Are the battery contacts OK in the camera (no oxidation, etc.)? Try moving all switches, buttons, etc. too, in case one is stuck or has some oxidation under it.

A c-3030z owner just replied, too. Same thing. You should have a "no card" error when powering it up without one.

Old Aug 9, 2004, 7:31 PM   #10

OKay now for the truth... I was looking at this camera on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:ITand saw that the guy said it was damaged. He says that it doesn't do anything even though it doesn't have memory so I was thinking that maybe it would work fine with my memory in it and that I would get a great camera for like 50 bucks or something. The guy says on the other forum that when turned on without a card in it it says there's no card in it on the camera so I guess this camera on ebay is broken? Should I still get this camera or not?