Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 27, 2002, 11:00 AM   #1

Default What is a safe lens tissue?

I have tried differant types of lens tissue on my digital camera and I was wondering what would be safe to use
without scratching. I have used so called "will not scratch" lens tissue years ago on my coated 50mm lens on my Pentax K1000 and it scratched the lens.
My digital camera has a very small lens and I was getting slightly blured pictures on the left side of all my photos, but I did not know it untill I came back from vacation and downloaded the photos, than I saw how bad they looked.
I did not really want to try to clean the lens on it but I took a chance and used the tissue I had on hand to clean the lens, yes I do use the liquid (water) lens cleaner with it, if it scratched it, I can't see it.
What would be safer, toilet paper, kleenex?
Thanks in advance.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2002, 11:38 AM   #2

Avoid tissue of any kind. Go get a proper cloth from a camera shop and keep it clean.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 12:37 PM   #3

The concensus seems to be that the lens cloths are the best way to go, and I do use them often. However, I have used lens paper for 30 years, and have never scratched a lens. I actually prefer paper. You have to blow any particles off the lens before using either one, and you shouldn't need to "scrub" hard, just breath on it and wipe gently in a circular motion.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 1:17 PM   #4

cloth is it.
about 12 years ago in Tokyo i found a cloth called the MicroDear from Etsumi Photo/Video. i purchaced 1 small one and have loved it. it has a suede like texture in a extremely fine denier fabric. it removes any thing frome a lens. it cleans very well. lost it 4 years later. total bummed. went online and punched in that info about 4 years ago and up pops adorama. 2 sizes and reasonable priced. bought a bunch and gave it out to a few friends and family. to me it is the best cloth around. all of them agree too.

[Edited on 9-27-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 6:34 PM   #5

The kind of cloth for sunglasses , is it ggod for lens?
And how about chamois?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2002, 7:03 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the great information, I will go to Ritz camera and get some lens cloth.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2002, 3:15 PM   #7

This is a good question and I think it's one that should be discussed more prominently in user manuals for all cameras. If thes lens is coated - and many today are - then you need to be *very* careful with the care of that coating.

Get a good lens cleaning cloth like the BKA HITECLOTH and keep it in a little ziplock bag in your camera bag. You might also want a light lens cleaning solution in case you get a fingerprint smear or some other oily mark on the lens surface. I've used OFR Mist from Delta 1 for years - even on $5,000 medium format lenses - and had great results.

Like mentioned earlier, you also need to blow away any dust or other particles before you clean the lens. They will scratch the coating if you're not careful. A small air brush or one of those cool tiny cans of compressed air are good camera bag additions too.

I'm not sure about the sprays and cloths that are sold for eye glasses, but remember that the materials and coatings on eye glasses are completely different from the ones used on high quality lenses. I'd stay away from them just to be safe.

Hope that helps,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote