Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:47 AM   #1

I have a small collection of magazines, articles, tutorials and such, on proper camera techniques. (Aperature settings, focusing, field of depth, illunination, shutter settings, and so on.):yawn:

I am now going to make the leap from my Minolta 7000 to a digital camera.(Kodak DX7590)

Is all the stuff I "learned" still applicable to the digital camera?:?
hadeshelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:49 AM   #2

depending on the camera you get (if it has full manual or not) it will apply...

full manual will allow you to set everything just like you would an old film SLR...buuut....you can change your film speed, in seconds niiiiiice...lol

hope this helped...a little

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:53 AM   #3

Thanks Vito.

Just what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks for the reply.

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:58 AM   #4

oh yeah....again depending on the camera...but if it is a non-slr digital..you will be changing the arperture by way of a button on the back of the camera....but you can still change it...lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 2:25 AM   #5

Okay, understood....

The write-up indicates 7 modes, Auto,Program,Aperture,Shutter,Manual,Custom, and Burst, plus 16 Scene modes.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 3:01 AM   #6

Yup, most of the old school knowledge is still valid...but like Vito said instead of turning a dial on an SLR, you're pushing buttons, or holding a button and turning a dial. In some ways, a digital camera can be more complicated because you might have to go through a menu for a feature or look for an oddly placed button.

I had been using a fully manual SLR for 20 years (only thing electronic was the light meter), so adjusting dials was by instinct...but when I got a camera similar to the one you want, it took me about a month to know how to access every manual control and how to access it quickly when there's a photographic opprotunity.

I've played with all sorts of cameras, and from the SLR standpoint (and being able to control the camera), I've found dSLRs easier to handle vs. the consumer point and shoot. I can pick up and use an Olympus E-1 on my own in just a few minutes, but with say a Canon G-4 I have to keep asking the owner, "How do you do this, how do you adjust that?" To use a car analogy, anyone can find a window crank to crank up the window without looking, but finding the switches to operate the power window is sometimes a challenge; sometimes it's on the door, sometimes it's between driver and passenger, and which one is for the window, which is for the door, and which is for the power mirrors?

p.s. There's some new things you will have to learn with digital, like white balance (that is a feature from video camera and camcorder technology)...basically it's like colour temperature with film; some films produce better blues, others greens and others red...on digital it's options are daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, etc. On my camera I experimented with the white balance (including custom), and most of the time Automatic did the best job...so I leave it on automatic and then adjust on the computer if I need to.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:50 AM   #7

:-)

All right, Mike thanks for that input.

I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs, the switches, buttons, pulleys, knobs, horns, bells, whistles ........ he! he! he!

I haven't been this excited over a camera project since I got my Minolta back in '85.