Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2004, 7:29 PM   #1

i have both cameras at the moment one will be returned and i cant decide which is the better choice i would love to hear some of your opinions

i am a bit of a newb to photographywe take a lot of pics ofour very active2.5 year old and plan take up photography as a bit of a hobby maybe a class or 2
boxer82003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:30 PM   #2

If you let somebody else choose for you, you probably never will be satisfied!

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:33 PM   #3

boxer82003 wrote:
Quote:
i have both cameras at the moment one will be returned and i cant decide which is the better choice i would love to hear some of your opinions

i am a bit of a newb to photographywe take a lot of pics ofour very active2.5 year old and plan take up photography as a bit of a hobby maybe a class or 2
I hate to preach to you, but the idea I get from your post is that you went out and bought both cameras, knowing ahead of time that you were not going to keep both. In other words, the "tryAFTER I buy" mentality.

The biggest reason many stores have 15% restocking fees, is for this reason. People will buy cameras in order to simply "try them out", then take them back and get more models to try out, before finally making a decision on a purchase. The store cannot sell the item as new legally, so must sell it as an "open box item" for less money. The store loses money, even if they do charge a restock fee, and the buyer of that item runs the risk that the person who brought it back may not have handled it well and it might have damage or missing parts. The trickle down effect is that everyone pays more for the items as the stores lose more over time with so many people doing this.

Circuit City is the only major chain I know of that dropped their restock fees, but an employee told me they have discussed bringing them back for this very reason - since dropping it, far too many people are abusing the "buy then try" practice, and they're losing money. Expect to see ALL stores charging 15% or more as time goes on.

Sorry again to preach, but I feel it's a consumer's responsibility to research a purchase like this before ANY item is bought at the store. Read up on them. Read reviews. Read user reviews. Go to stores and handle the item yourself. THEN buy it. If after all that you still don't like it for a good reason, take it back. But I can't give advice on which camera to keep if someone just goes out and buys two or moremodels to try them out. Both are good cameras - unfortunately someone is going to have to buy one of them as a used item.

I do apologize if I have misread how you went about this. If I have not, please resonsider the way you research and test items before buying the final item in the future.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:55 PM   #4

Greg, I can see where you are coming from but on the other hand we as customers are being required to do stuff like this because all we can get from sales people is the usual party line (eg whoever gives the biggest commision is the best camera).

We are already paying a penalty for buying from a store (do a web search and see what the price differential is) that store is to provide us convenience and SUPPORT. The support should and must be before and after the sale or there is no reason to go to a store. Many people still go to the actual camera stores because they can talk intelligently about the camera.

I paid more for my recent camera totally because of the return policy of the store. They can and do figure it into the cost of doing business.

We are talking about two cameras that are tricky animals (and BTW I would adviseboxer go with the simpler Pro-1 at this stage it will be a much easier camera to start out on). Learning the dials and knobs and features are things that should be told by sales people but if they can't then the buy and return policy is the reason we shop at the store. At least here in California it is not for the stimulating talks with the mindless drones they hire.

Implementing a 15% return policy is a sure way to destroy your Christmas sales and give the other guys business. However many stores do impliment it on big screen TVs around the big sporting events.

In the old days we had another option we could go to a camera store and rent a camera or lensfor a weekend or so to decide if it was worth the price. Without that option the best you can do is be a savy shopper. Even as good as Steve's reviews are I would have a hard time evaluating the good/bad between these two cameras.

Remember we are not talking about somebody that went out and bought a camera to take the kids graduation pictures and then returns it. We are talking about somebody that is making a $1000+ purchase and is evaluating which camera is best for the job. The store is going to make money on this deal.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:19 AM   #5

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:

In the old days we had another option we could go to a camera store and rent a camera or lensfor a weekend or so to decide if it was worth the price. Without that option the best you can do is be a savy shopper. Even as good as Steve's reviews are I would have a hard time evaluating the good/bad between these two cameras.
I do agree very much with this part of your post. I think it would be an excellent idea for camera shops to have a "lease unit" for the popular prosumer models.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Remember we are not talking about somebody that went out and bought a camera to take the kids graduation pictures and then returns it. We are talking about somebody that is making a $1000+ purchase and is evaluating which camera is best for the job. The store is going to make money on this deal.

Thanks, Castledude, I agree completely. Actually, more often than not, you'll find folks making the suggestion to "try before you buy".
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote