Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:45 AM   #1

Steve,

How about a forum where members could introduce themselves and tell what digital gear they use? This would be a simpler way for people with similar equipment or interests to find each other. The member profiles alone do not give enough information.

This forum has so many sections now however I think one like this would help tie it all together.

BTW: I am a High School teacher who has been involved with photography for over 20 years starting with Pentax K and M series cameras and then later moving to first generation Minolta Maxxums (7000) with lenses covering 19mm to 210mm.

My digital camera is a Pentax Optio 33L, simple but a decent picture taker, I also use my wife's Fuji Finepix 2800z, only 2MP but a great lens and good image quality. I want a faster acting camera in the 3 to 5MP range with a bigger zoom, right now Finepix S5000, Kodak DX6490 and Konica Minolta Z10 (best value right now?) are in my range.

Someof my favourite subjects are old fences and weather beaten structures.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2

Good Idea, great to meet you
We can add a brief signature automatically before; since recently, I don't know how to do it anymore :roll:
I am an EE, in Montreal region, nothing particular; I don't really have a great artistic sense :?

Equip: Nikon film N2020/28-200, (sometimes Canon AE-1), Minolta D7i, TCON-17, Nikon CP950 (irreplaceable )
Flashes: Metz 402, 45CT-1, 45-CT-4,. 3rd party-Nikon dedicated, some low GN slaves
Pod: Manfrotto automatic monopod, 055 tripod, some short tripod and clamp type "pod", various head and accessories …
Favorite subjects: Animals (zoo), churches, festivals, and … my woman of course :?
Favorite pastimes: photo, rebuild old stuff: lamp radios, old tape recorder, old cameras ... , actually I am dismantling a Kodak Retina Reflex , trying to fix it, the Compur shutter is stuck.
Good day!

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:22 PM   #3

Why not.....

I am also a High School teacher who was hooked on photography at a very early age with pinhole cameras. When I was about 9 years old, I got to use my father's Kodak Retina 1A. During High School, I took a graphics art course that involved photographing, burning, and printing plates on presses. The following year, I took the photography course that was offered there. Oddly enough, I feel that I have come full circle, as one of the High Schoolcourses I teach, is incidently...photography.

I tend to be a pack rat, and thus, never sell any of my equipment (so I still have all this stuff...and it still gets exercised on occasion).

Film Cameras: Olympus 35sp Range finder,Olympus OM10, Pentax SF10, Pentax P3, Ricoh XR-20sp. Won't go into accessories, flashes, and lenses, as they are too numerous to mention.

Went mostly digital in1999 after I sold my darkroom after developing a slight sensitivity to the developer. However, I am currently back to having 2 enlargers and the other stuff that goes with a darkroom, as I can't seem to resist buying it when a good deal comes around. Who knows, might go back into the traditional stuff in the near future (other then at work).

Anyways, my first digital camera was an Olympus D340-R (1.3 mega-pixel fixed lens compact). Found this site in 2000 when it was time to get something better. Read all the reviews of the time, and got a Nikon Coolpix 990. Just recently boughta Canon Digital Rebel after seeing it at a local photo shop cheaper then what I paid for the 990 in 2000 (but only after reading more reviews). It was at this time I figured I may as well participate on Steve's forum.

Favourite subjects are: Anything I can take a photo of. I really don't have any favourites. What I look for is the play of light on objects. If it catches my eye, I will photograph it.

Favourite passtimes are: Computers,Art (include photography in here), Leather crafting, Reading, and Learning.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:58 PM   #4

A dissenting vote. I, for one, do not want a complete list of my photography or computer equipment displayed on the web for the entire world to see. I include a brief list of equipment used when I post a picture but I will not list all of my equipment. To me, that ie extremely risky. It doesn't take much to find out where I live and the locks on the doors only serve to keep honest people honest.

I think it would be a very BAD idea to have a forum where everyone lists all their equipment.

Cal Rasmussen
Beaverton, OR
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:14 PM   #5

I think it's a great idea. And it gives me something to do whilst I wait for Neat Image to do its thang. :lol:

I'm not a high school teacher. I'm 21. When I was little I had the standard cheap point and shoot film cameras. When we used to go to the zoo or a steam rally I'd use a roll or two. But I never thought about photography. My dad has a Nikon EM that he bough from new and I'd always liked the idea of owning an SLR, even if I had no idea what one was. :lol: A couple of years ago I got out the Argos catalogue and looked at them and thought about getting one but didn't. It was my 21st birthday this year (Feb 2nd) so I asked for an SLR. I chose a Dynax (Maxxum) 5. I almost got a digital camera but chose not to. I won't go into the reasons. So my experience is only seven months worth.
A little while later my sister and I got a dog for my mums 60th. She then asked me to look for a cheap second hand digital camera so she could record her growing. I hunted around eBay and all we could get was a Toshiba for £50. Yes, the budget was low, but it was only for recording the dog. I used this site's reviews to find out about the cameras. So here I am.
For some reason I wanted a Minolta srT101 recently and ended up buying more than I wanted. You'll see when you read my camera list.

Cameras;
Film: Minolta Dynax (Maxxum) 5. Tamron 90-300mm lens, Sigma, 28-70mm lens and a Minolta 28-100mm lens.
Minolta SR-1, Minolta srT303, Minolta srT101, Minolta srT101 (broken, bought as a donor for parts should I need them). Three different Minolta Rokkor lenses and one double (so four lenses). Jessops 2x teleconvertor.
Digital: Toshiba PDR-M61
I really want a better camera (I seem to have taken over this one :lol and plan to get myself one before Christmas.

Other: Just a cheap tripod, sigma polarising filter and some step up/down rings used primarily for reversing lenses on the digital. Cable releases (home made for dynax and old push type for the sr and srt's).

I use both film and digital. I don't think you can realistically compare the two. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Especially for an amateur.
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 4:22 PM   #6

calr wrote:
Quote:
A dissenting vote. I, for one, do not want a complete list of my photography or computer equipment displayed on the web for the entire world to see. I include a brief list of equipment used when I post a picture but I will not list all of my equipment. To me, that ie extremely risky. It doesn't take much to find out where I live and the locks on the doors only serve to keep honest people honest.

I think it would be a very BAD idea to have a forum where everyone lists all their equipment.
I've never given my address out online and don't plan to. Except when buying stuff, obviously. The only thing any of you could find out is my country and city. And that is only because my ISP will let you. You'd need access to my IP address which only a mod or admin can do.

So there is as much risk as someone reading this forum breaking into my house after seeing my equipment as someone from this forum hunting me down for insulting them. No risk at all.

There is more chance of someone snatching my camera in public or breaking into my car and taking stuff from the boot whilst I bought a Mars bar.

Of course, if you are at all worried about posting your equipment, you don't do it. Right?
:?:
ferny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:57 PM   #7

Cal R

I understand completely, I didn't mean for this to be a place for people to disclose any information they didn't want to. You mention that you usually list the equipment you use to get an image however some people do not. Digital is such a wide ranging field and images shrunk down to fit this forum may be from anything from a VGA keychain camera to a 22MP studio medium format back. I like to know what people have achieved with the equipment they have.

For those who do want to leave a bio and list their equipment, that is their choice, Cal has pointed out that you should consider the possible consequences before you post.

Ferny

I too own too much equipment, I even lent out a Pentax K1000 with 28-80 lens and small flash to my brother in law. I agree that there is still a place for film, and a certain satisfaction in older mechanical cameras. I also do some night time star trails, out of reach in digital unless you are into really high end stuff.

BTW:

My first digicam was actually one I bought for my wife, a 1MP Kodak with a fixed focus, fixed focal length lens. Very well built and with amazing image quality considering the limitations, makes very acceptable 4 X 6 prints.

I have two web sites which are accessible through this page:

http://www.k12.nf.ca/gc/Staff/Teache...%20Crummey.htm

one is our school's photography club page, the other is my Fiero web site (anyone want to buy a project car:-))

Ira

PS excuse the poor quality scan, this represents an 8 minute expose during the autumn meteor shower. Pentax K1000 with a lens which I later discovered did not focus properly at the infinity setting which is why the picture is not sharp.

Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:17 AM   #8

what a great idea, ira!

some of my galleries:

my old FujiFinePix A101 P&S 1.3mp http://www.pbase.com/trueno92

my new DiMage Z1 3.2mp http://www.dcshutter.com/gallery/sho...&ppuser=56

I am from Markham, Ontario, and for the longest time never really bought into the fact that the camera makes the photographer, so i used my a101 and played with lighting environmentsettings and night-photography. and got to learn a lot about lighting, framing, angles, and more lighting and macro photography!!:-)

With working with what i had, i tried to make the most out of what i shot and just tried to capture it the best i could. i got a lot of practice with a steady hand as i liked to do as much non-flash photography as possible (the flash on the a101 was rather unpredictable... too bright, too dark, etc) and for some odd reason, it fared very well with slow shutter/incandesent whitebalance settings.. so night shots always came out rather impressive.....

On a few trips to montreal i borrowed my fathers canon AE-1 and fell in love with the manualflexibility of an SLR camera. The processing center where i got the photos developed had asked me what camera i used because some shots were so well composed!

Then on a trip to NYC i shot over 400 pictures with that little P&S but upon viewing them, i began to see the limitation in such a simple camera, especially in a place as scenic as New York City.

I'm still an amature and still learning lots, especially with a forum such as this!

I recently gave in and bought a lens-hood and tube adapter for my z1 off ebay, simply because in toronto, these items are an arm and a leg (no 3rd party, only genuine minolta gear)

I like to shoot landscapes and night shots, but i have recently been playing more with macro and portraits.

oh, and btw, i am NOT a high school teacher! lol :lol:

trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:20 AM   #9

trueno92, thanks for the submission.

I have owned high quality 35mm equipment for over 20 years, but I think the freedom digital affords has taught me more about photography in the last six months. My simple point and shoot Pentax digicam allows me to take a practically unlimited number of pictures and examine them, in great detail, on my computer screen. It is small enough for my pocket, so I carry it everywhere and, within the limitations of the camera, the image quality is magnificent.

Does it out perform my bag full of semi pro 35mm gear, not on your life, but it is so portable and inexpensive (I now only pay for prints that I really want, and no film costs).

My plan is to start saving for a more capable camera, probably not a digital SLR since the Minolta looks like it will be pricey, the Pentax will not offer its full capabilities with my old lenses and I do not want to start another system. Instead something from a Fuji S7000 to a Sony F828 looks promising (the whole rash of 8MP big zoom models looks good)

Well enough about me, any others wish to contribute?

Ira
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:46 PM   #10

Great Idea!

Maybe you can use a system similar to Photo.net

You fill the ist only once and is private. Then when you post a picture IF YOU WANT, you can use a form to indicate what kind of camera, lens, filter and film (photo net is not only digicam site) did you use, and if it was digitaly changed or is original.

Bye!
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote