Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2004, 12:48 AM   #1

can someone help me?

i am trying to resize a picture so its 15k, for my avatar, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to resize it, when i try to, it just makes it bigger????????????????????

i know it must me simple, but i cant get it, id be using photoshop 7, paint shop pro 7, nikon view, and if you can do it in photo mechanic, that too

thank you very much
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:46 AM   #2

Here is the Photoshop procedure:

With the image open, click on the "Image" menu, then on the "Image Size" item in the drop down menu.

In the "Image Size" box, make sure the "Constrain Proportions" and the "Resample Image" boxes are both checked.

Set the "Resolution" to 72 pixels/inch.

Adjust the "Print Size" (width or height, they are locked together) until the file size (at the top of the "Pixel Size" box) is what you want. For a 15K file size, the width & height will probably be around an inch or so.

The above is with my trusty (old) Photoshop 5, but it should be close for later editions.

Steve K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:00 PM   #3

ah ah

thank you very much!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:13 PM   #4

hmm....the size (kb wise) is dependent on how you save it...how much compression....

if you want, you can email it to me, i'll resize it for you....

if not...here ya go

open it in photoshop....do the same procedure as steve k, but instead of changing the print dimensions, change the pixels to watever the limit is for the avatar...i think it's 200x200....depending on the orientation....wide or tall...set the longest point for 200....it will set the other side for you....then hit ok..

hit ctrl/alt/shift-s or go to "save for web" under file.....

and select jpeg from the drop-down (that's probably default but i'm not sure) then move the slider to change the percentage of compression...the higher the percentage the higher the file size...underneath the preview box, there'll be a size, i think 80% will be low enough....but if it isn't use the highest percentage that will be below 15k....then hit "save" and then name it...and put it in the folder...

then come here...and upload it...

that's all...that's how i do it....sounds more complicated..but it is really easy..

have fun!

vito

(email me if you want me to do it...lol)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:41 PM   #5

Yup, I wasn't thinking about compression - my original procedure would work for uncompressed images, but you don't want to do that for an avatar on the web. A JPG is probably the most common, but I think I was distracted by working on my own avatar, an animated GIF. In that case (also compressed), the story gets complicated by number of colors, animated frames, ... :?:

Just to mention it, my V.5 Photoshop does not have the "Save for Web" feature, although I think I have the same functionality, just not in a single command. I might even have to do a trial and error for the JPG saves to get the corrct file size.

In any case, Vito's procedure is much more general (and useful) than mine ...
Old Aug 18, 2004, 3:27 PM   #6

beautifull.....thanks guys

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but you cant see my face :sad:maybe i could crop it more, can you guess which ones me?
Old Aug 22, 2004, 5:33 PM   #7

bradg wrote:
Quote:
but you cant see my face :sad: maybe i could crop it more, can you guess which ones me?
No face? So you are the purple one?

But really, folks ... looks good, and yes, I think there's room for a little more cropping.

I also got my avatar up, and you also can't see my face ... :homey:
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:06 PM   #8

Simpson, Homer Simpson

He's the greatest guy in history....

sorry....as soon as I saw ol' homey, that came to mind....
Mare is offline   Reply With Quote