Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2004, 1:15 AM   #1

I'm needing to change from a CRT to an LCD monitor and would like to know if any of you have experience with working on images with LCD's and what monitor model do you use? I do want one that is good for digital image editing and 19 " or greater.

:?

Thanks for helping

Paula
raven880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:19 AM   #2

You will get a ton of replies that CRT's are much better than LCD's? I have ued LCD's for years and like most of them. I just follow the same proceedure used long before computers and proof print my copy. The down side of this is that it is not always cheap as the material cost can be higher than the CRT approach.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:31 AM   #3

I use a LCD for my photo work and have very good experiences with it. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 171P which is ony 17", but I've heard very good things about their 19" models as well. I also have my monitor hooked up using digital rather than analog and calibrate it frequently.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 4:55 PM   #4

I have a Phillips Brilliance 230W LCD, and although I bought it for CAD it certainly fullfills my needs for photo as well. It is 23" and totally awesome! Best money I ever spent on computer equipment considering how much time I spend in front of it.

I believe the 23" LG and the new 23" Apple monitor are actually the same monitor as this one - tech specs are the same anyway, and there is not that many new 23" screens around.

Praktisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:52 AM   #5

Many thanks to you all for your input. I'm going to be shopping for the best deal on these things so it may be a while before I make the dive.
Paula
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:28 AM   #6

Of course there will be a difference between a "best LCD" and "best deal" in terms of overall quality.

Sam's Club sells some NEC 19" LCD in the $500-ish range, and I like it. VGA connector only, though. Image quality falls within the higher range of good, but aren't the very highest quality around. Still more than enough for my stuff.

I've heard some very good things about Dell's "Ultrasharp" series from people. As a matter of fact, a lot of Mac users use the Dell LCDs in place of Apple's cinema displays to save $$$ (so they must be good - Apple monitors are very good). You can buy two 19" Dell LCDs and put them side-by-side and pay less than one Apple 23" display.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:34 AM   #7

atlantagreg wrote:
[quote]Of course there will be a difference between a "best LCD" and "best deal" in terms of overall quality.

Sam's Club sells some NEC 19" LCD in the $500-ish range, and I like it. VGA connector only, though. Image quality falls within the higher range of good, but aren't the very highest quality around. Still more than enough for my stuff.
LOL! I"ve seen your "stuff" Greg and it's very good. So the NEC must be pretty good. I'm going for good picture quality first, price second but would like to get the best of both....of course.
javascript:emoticon('', 'images/emoticons/wink.gif')
wink
I've heard some very good things about Dell's "Ultrasharp" series from people. As a matter of fact, a lot of Mac users use the Dell LCDs in place of Apple's cinema displays to save $$$ (so they must be good - Apple monitors are very good). You can buy two 19" Dell LCDs and put them side-by-side and pay less than one Apple 23" display.

Ok. I will see what Dell has to offer. I'm strictly an amateur enthusiast but am picky about my colors being what I see in the "real" object.
Paula

Old Aug 22, 2004, 11:13 PM   #8

Then the real question is if you are going to profile your monitor (no matter what type it is.) LCD or CRT, it is the best way to get "... colors being what I see in the "real" object." Becase that is the way to get a monitor to display the correct colors.

This question is all about how much money you want to spend. The best monitors are still CRTs. But that is the best display quality, not best deal. (I'm talking the Sony Artisans of the world.) But there are some LCDs which are getting close to that in quality (for more money.)

In the $500 range, I would still recommend the LaCie Electron Blue 4 19" CRT at about $380. That is the "Best deal" and the quality is amazing... better than any comparable priced LCD. But if you're willing to spend more on an LCD I've heard good things about NEC's LCDs & Sony's (but they don't make their own... I just don't know who they buy them from.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:36 AM   #9

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Then the real question is if you are going to profile your monitor (no matter what type it is.) LCD or CRT, it is the best way to get "... colors being what I see in the "real" object." Becase that is the way to get a monitor to display the correct colors.

Yes, I plan to profile it.

This question is all about how much money you want to spend. The best monitors are still CRTs.

I know.......I've been told that several times. But the CRT's hurt my eyes. I've tried several and currently have a Sony that's 3 yrs old but after a couple of hours of working here , staring at it, my head aches and my eyes are blurred. When I work on my laptop with the LCD screen that doesn't happen.

In the $500 range, I would still recommend the LaCie Electron Blue 4 19" CRT at about $380. That is the "Best deal" and the quality is amazing...

That's great to hear and the kind of info I was hoping for. I was just looking at the Dell 20" UltraSharp because the price is better compared to the Samsung 213t and the Dells were recommended too. I'll look again at the info on the LaCie's . The 19" screen would be the same size as the 20" CRT screen I have now.
Thank you for your input.

Paula

better than any comparable priced LCD. But if you're willing to spend more on an LCD I've heard good things about NEC's LCDs & Sony's (but they don't make their own... I just don't know who they buy them from.)

Eric
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:13 AM   #10

I can appreciate your trouble with CRTs. There are many good reasons to get an LCD over them (less space, less weight, no refresh flicker, and more.) I believe the biggest issues with LCDs now are in the area of contrast and brightness. I think the good ones (I'm going on foggy memory here) can basically represent colors well.

What resolution and refresh rate to you use it at? Do you use the monitor around floresent lights? They can have a flicker that (*I think*) can be around the rate of the monitor. If your problem comes from the refresh rate, maybe that could enhance your problems (I'm stretching here, I know.) Personally, I've got a ok-quality 8-year-old Panasonic 21" monitor (got it for free from work), but its great because I drive it at 1280x1024 32-bit color 72-hertz (I can go to 75.) If I was stuck at the windows default of 60-hertz, I'd probably have eye troubles too.

Good to hear that you'll profile. That puts you a large step in the right direction (and give me an idea of how serious about this you are.)

The absolute best forum for monitor information and color management is this one:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthrea...at=&Board=UBB3

This forums has people who write books on the stuff. I have learned a lot just by reading back posts. I'm sure you'll see some LCD recommendations there (but they might be higher end that you'll want.)

LaCie (also spelled Lacie) also makes 20", but they are noticably more expensive. Their monitors are perfectly flat and have monitor hoods to shield glare, and they are designed for profiling so they have all the necessary settings and internal electronics to do it well.

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10016

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote