Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2002, 10:45 PM   #1

Default barrel distortion correction

Hi gang, I just bought the new Oly C-4000Z as an upgrade to my D490Z, but I've noticed a lot of 'barrel distortion' at wideangle, something that my D490Z had no problem with. Other than never using the 'wideangle' zoom position (which would be a hassle), is there any easy way to correct this situation? Thanks, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2002, 1:38 PM   #2

Paint shop pro and I think photoshop have some kind of perspective correction tool. Never used them myself - yet.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 6:14 PM   #3

Barrel distortion is different from perspective distortion, which is easily correctible in Photoshop.

Barrel distortion is correctable, and there are two programs I know of that do it well. The easiest is LensDoc, which is a plugin for Photoshop. I seldom use it, but when I need it I am happy to have it on the hard drive. It is published by Andromeda.

The other is part of Panorama Tools, which has a correction tool that also is a Photoshop plug-in, but takes trial and error to get it right. You can download this free. I don't remember the URL, but do a search on "Panorama Tools" and you will find it.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:27 AM   #4

Default photo shop plug-ins

Thanks for the replies. Walter, when you mentioned the 2 correction programs as being 'photoshop plug-ins', does that mean I have to have 'Photoshop' to use them, or would they work on their own or with other software programs?
Old Oct 1, 2002, 12:03 PM   #5

You have to have photoshop for those plug-ins.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 1:50 PM   #6

You don't need PhotoShop to be able to use Panorama Tools, though a GUI front end (PTGui or PTAssembler) would be a good idea. See http://philohome.free.fr/barrelpers/barrelpers.htm for a tutorial on the slickest way I've seen for dealing with perspecive distortion and lens distortion in on shot.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 11:55 PM   #7

Wow, Walter, thanks for that suggestion! I downloaded a demo of LensDoc, tried it on one shot, and ordered it! That's been my biggest problem with compact digitals. Although I have a C4040, i used the one Olympus specific setting, which is C2020, but it worked great. Marco, just be sure to filter the raw, uncropped image. If you have Adobe Elements or the older PhotoShop 5.0 Limited Edition (aka "LE") that ship with many digicams and scanners you can use LensDoc.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2002, 1:09 AM   #8

All I have is Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0, that came with my HP scanner. The Camedia software that came with my camera does allow me to 'correct' the barreling', but the resulting image is not nearly as sharp as the original...thanks for your replies..Johnny