Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:41 PM   #1

Hi, I am looking into purchasing my first digital camera and I have read reviews from numerous sites. But I haven't managed to get one of my questions answered.

Questions:

Would a Nikon 3700 (for example) produce the same 4X6 prints as a Nikon 4200? Does a4 MP camera take higher quality pictures than a 3 MP camera if it's as small as 4X6 or would a 4 MP camera only be good for very large prints?

I tried comparing pictures, but I couldn't really tell. ANY comments would be appreciated!
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:41 PM   #2

Unless you make extreme crops I doubt you would see the difference on 4 X 6 prints. 3Mp is more than the printing process can use for a 4 X 6 regardless of whether you use a photo printer or have them processed at a photofinisher.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:50 PM   #3

Quote:
I tried comparing pictures, but I couldn't really tell.*
You have answered your own question.

Until you want to print pics larger than 8"x10" (and even then it will depend on what the subject is) or need to severely crop your picture you won't see any difference in the final printed result, even at high magnification, much less at ordinary vewing distances.

There are more significant camera quality factors than mega-pixels that will effect final picture quality, but between the two Nikons that you mention, it boils down to features, not pic quality as the prime discriminator.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:58 PM   #4

I've been wondering when someone will come out with a well-priced (under $150) pocketable camera that has no more than 1.2 megapixels (maybe 1.5 or 2 if necessary to get a good 4x6), a sensor size of AT LEAST 2/3" or 1", preferably 4/3" so I can get noise-free images at ISO 6400, a 35mm equivalent focal length somewhere between 50mm and 80mm, an aperture of no smaller than F/0.5, and moderately pocketable (comparable in size to a Canon A80 for example)...

What would be the closest in existence now?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:02 AM   #5

Closesst I would have to say a sony cybershot. One of those spy-cams. My friend bought a 2 mp for $250. I think these digicam prices will go down a lot by 2010.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote