Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:39 AM   #1

Default Lexmark printer/scanner/copyer combo...any good?

Target is having a closeout on this printer/scanner and copyer for $100.
My question is: Will it print photos as good as my HP-722C?
I don't see Lexmark listed here on this forum, I was wondering if it is any good or just junk.
My budget will not allow the Epson and Canon printers which I am sure are better. This sounded like a good deal as space is very limited in my mobile home.
Thanks for any information you may have.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2002, 7:40 AM   #2

lexmark has the highest cost per print in the ink department. the color cart running in the $30 range. it is a 4 color device only. cheap initial price with expensive consumables.

3 in 1 units just wont print anywhere near as well as dedcated printer will. there are 6 color printers from epson which will serve well at the $100 mark. and newer canons too
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 7:52 AM   #3

Default All in one system

I believe that all in one systems are not my cup of tea. I prefer to have my printer and scanner separate.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 2:07 AM   #4

I hear alot of bad things about Lexmark printers, unless space is a issue, I would get a printer and scaner seperate.
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 6:17 AM   #5

I have 3 lexmark printers , the 3 in one 82 printer ,scanner I have. It prints good photos , use it mostly for copies and scanning.But i just got a lexmark z65 that does better for photos ,its higher dpi. over 5000 x 2400. I like it so far. I have an older one it did pretty good too. Now I know im just a rookie ,but the price on the z65 was only 199.00 . they may be a bit pricely on ink , havent compared on that. I know at the highest quality full page lots of colors, photo paper I can get atleast 17 prints out of 1 color cartridge.
Most prints i print are very clear and you cant tell its digital at all in a 5x7. According to pic of course.
Anyway ive never used anything else yet exept Alps 1000 dry micro printer , i use it for iron ons.

Can anyone tell me how many prints with new ink ,you can get with your printer at the highest quality with full page on photo paper? So i can compare a little , i may want to get me a new one lol
But love mine so far
I sale full page photos of sports shots for 10.00 , is that too low or high anyone?
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 8:18 AM   #6

a 4 color printer will print reasonable images. they will lack the tonal range/gradations of a 6 color printer.

all in one units are great for an office atmosphere. they will not perform to equal standards of standalone individual components. failure of one portion of the 3 in 1 brings its own set of issues.

getting individual components allows you to choose the quality of printer or scanner you need instead of settling for the pkg deal.

if you are using Win Me 2k xp faxing capability is built right in the OS. most of the software i have seen for 3in1 bog down the os as they run in backround all the time.

the cost of lexmark ink is the highest in the marketplace. they lowball and give them away with systems and make up the loss in ink profit(consumables).

when companies give a value for how many pages you get out of an ink cartridge the usually base it on between 5-15% per page coverage. we all know in photos we cover a little more than that on a page.

ink longevity is another issue. you sell your image to someone and in 3 years it fades or color shifts what is your liability to the purchaser?

just a few thing to think about.

[Edited on 10-1-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2002, 10:47 AM   #7

Thanks all for the replies, yes space is a problem, right now I have my canon 620P scanner on the very top shelf of my computer desk.
I have my HP722C printer on a printer stand, as mentioned in another post on this forum, the colors are off, photos have a violet cast to the skintones and it was suggested my new cartridge was bad.
So rather than buy another $30 cartridge and still may have a problem, I thought this all in one unit would do. I have windows XP and with this setup I have, if I do any printing before I do any scanning, I have to reboot because I get an error stating LPT-1 or something like that.
I have not been able to figure out how to fax or copy using windows XP, if I want to copy, what I do now is scan the text, etc. into a photo(jpg) than print it out, the only way I know how to do it. I bought a fax machine at a yard sale, so I can fax if I need to.
Thanks again for all yoir help.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote