Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:24 PM   #1

Not a question....but a thought.

How many of you have tried to make a pin hole camera?

They are really easy to make, great fun to experiment with, and the cost is negligible. Might want to think about this next Christmas for your kids.

All you need is 3 dark room trays (any tray will do around the house), developer, Hypo, and fixer. You can even get away with hypo and use water instead if you want to. Some photographic paper. A dark room. A can of pringles or a box...anything will do here. Tape, glue, black paint or markers, a needle to make your lens hole, and some aluminum foil for your lens hole.

have them make their camera. Be sure to cut out a large hole so that you can affix some aluminum foil to cover this hole. Use a needle to punch a small hole..this is your lens. Make sure the camera box is light tight by blacking the inside with paint or marker. Be sure to make a design that is easy to load and remove the paper in a dark room. Once the camera is made...have them load the camera with photo paper under a red light.

Have them experiment with exposure time. A great opportunity to teach them about light properties, etc. Explain to them why the image forms upside down (you can illustrate this by using wax paper as a backing and point the camera to a candle flame. Turn down the lights, and you will see the image reversed. Even why the depth of field is so great.

Once a photo is taken...then teach them how to develop the film. Use a red light in a light tight room (can be in a dark washroom, or closet). Once they see their image appear...it is magic..and most kids will be hooked on photography.

Just a thought......
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:20 PM   #2
Zal

Yeah, but where do you plug in the USB cable??

:-)
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:55 PM   #3

And how do I set up the pinhole so that my aperture is F/0.1 and a focal length (35mm equivalent) of around 50mm to 100mm, and I can crank up my ISO to 25,000, with 5 megapixels of resolution, so I can get a properly exposed shot with a 1/100" exposure? I would like to take action photography in situations so dark that my Canon S1 IS even with its longest shutter speed, highest ISO, and widest aperture, can't get more than a black picture.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 6:53 PM   #4

I made a pinhole camera when I was 10 years old (I had the photolab develop the film though). It was from an article in Geographic World magazine (a magazine for kids years back). I didn't get into developing until I was 12.

I don't know what happened to my pinhole experiments, but here's some of my early darkroom experiments where I put objects right on top of photo paper and used the light from an enlarger to expose the image:
http://www.pbase.com/mikefellh/no_camera

My first actual camera that I used when I was a kid was an Agfa Isolette, so I learned about shutter speeds and f-stops early in life.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:05 PM   #5

Hey Mikefellh, is it a TO 220 case transistor I see here? aranoid:

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:00 PM   #6

KCan wrote:
Quote:
Hey Mikefellh, is it a TO 220 case transistor I see here?
Wow, you're asking me something I did over 20 years ago (HAS IT BEEN THAT LONG????).

Actually, I think it's a clip used for hanging 35mm film for drying after developing it...here's a modern version:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/images/prod/635111.jpg

Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7

oh, I though it was this

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:17 PM   #8

Hey!!

thatd be a fun new forum, guess what the object is by its outline
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:25 PM   #9

I just read the other day about the world's largest pinhole camera that operates on 15 miles per gallon...it's out of an old mail delivery truck, and it takes pictures that are 4 feet tall and 8 feet wide.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59929,00.html