Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:48 AM   #11
DBB

BernBennett wrote:
Quote:
but it's a steep learning curve for the average user.

### Well, I'm referring to the light version

Corel Draw was much easier and faster (refresh a page in Draw took seconds, Calamus took minutes!)

LOL That was on an 8Mhz 60000 chip. In the real world of today Calamus redraws instantly.

I see now the manual is 800 pages of A5; so the programme must be more complicated than ever.
The full version can of course do anything.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 2:09 PM   #12

A company named Serif has some very capable programs at reasonably low cost. Their program that is competitive with Altus Pagemaker is called PagePlus 9.0. It seems to do about everything at an on-line price of $135. I usually get my upgrades for $9.95 plus shipping.

Having used is since about version 3.0, I have found it to be very stable and easy to use.

http://www.serif.com/

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 2:10 PM   #13

Thanks for all the tips, folks.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:27 AM   #14

On the "text path" issue I must agree with an earlier post. In that case I do the work in Corel Draw or (more difficult but possible) in Photoshop and then import the object with the text. Otherwise, imho, you pay way too much for a feature not needed often. Most text on path creations, in my experience, get used over and over, so I save them in an easily exportable format and have them ready.

Jim
JimCummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:44 PM   #15

You can't go wrong recommending the industry standard, which is InDesign or Quark. Most advanced publications are done in one or the other of those. I use InDesign because it interfaces with Photoshop and Illustrator a little better. And because I was able to pick up the academic package which includes them all at a reasonable price. The combination Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are tough to beat, but you are recommending some pricey software if your customer doesn't have access to academic software. And the learning curve on all of them is steep.

I just ordered several copies of M$ Publisher for the organization I currently head. We have several people working on our publication and InDesign is both difficult and pricey. We are a non-profit and Publisher is almost free for us. It is probably the easiest to learn, although I am blowing smoke as I don't have a lot of experience with it – mostly reports from others.

Just like Photoshop is far and away the best image editor but difficult to learn well because of all the capability, InDesign and Quark are very competent but sometimes frustrating. From earlier posts I would guess Calamus is in the same category. For a simple newsletter, brochures etc I would think Publisher would be more than sufficient.

Edit: Publisher comes included with M$ Office Pro. Your customer might not have to buy anything if they have the Pro version of Office.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:28 PM   #16
DBB

Well, I don['t want to overdue my Pro Calamus bias. However, the light version gives you thirty days to try it out, and at $95 is a steal.

I've never used In-design. although I'm sure that like most Adobe products it's probably worth whatever it costs. I dislike Quark, probably because I've never bothered to learn more then the essentials.

However, if you wish to exchange Files with other users, Calamus is obviously at a disadvantage because it's format is unique, however it CAN save files as PDF, and PDF is the DTP equivalent of RTF or ASCII.

Dave
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:28 PM   #17

Actually, I too am looking at creating a newsletter with using Corel Draw 11. How do you go about making the "text path" function on there? Or is their another way to separate the sections of the page to 2 or 3 columns and for the text to naturally follow?

vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:02 AM   #18

I tried Calamus but found it too clunky to use. I like rollover explainations of a button in case you get dingy and forget what it's for... on Calamus, you hover over it and poof... nothing.

I wound up getting Corel Graphics Suite 12 for her. Corel has a competitive pricing structure, so if you own one of several programs, they'll allow you to buy the *upgrade* rather than have to pay for the full version. She and I use and own Paint Shop Pro as our image editors, and that's on their list, so I was able to get the upgrade for the suite, and bought copies for both of us.

To Vanessa - It was my understanding when I called Corel asking about the program, that the feature to allow text to follow a path you draw out, is a new funtion in version 12. If that's correct, version 11 wouldn't have it.

I have only just received the software and haven't had a chance to use it yet. There is a "Service patch" for version 12 which is quite quirky to install, but once you do, it seems to be a nice program.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:12 PM   #19
DBB

When did you use it? The description of EVERY icon is shown on the top right of the screen. It appears instantly and stays as long as your cursor is over the icon. This is set in the preferences.

Macros are easy to make, that is you can record all your key strokes and then assign more or less any key to access that routine. You can even make macros out of a group of macros.

For the man asking the questions about "text path," he can make a macro to duplicate any of his previous actions.

Calamus does have a steep learning curve, but the latest versions (after 2000) reallly make this not that difficult.

Dave
Old Sep 7, 2004, 4:47 PM   #20

Hi Atlantareg!

Someone at Coral has got their lines crossed!

The Text on Path function is in Corel Draw 8, so it must be in version 11.

A quick example of method:

1. Type some artistic text in one line.

2. Draw a circle using Cntrl and the circle tool.

3. Select the text, Goto Text>Text on path, move curser to the circle, curser changes to a large black arrow, click, and the text should be transferred to the circle.

4. Now select the drawn circle, click on the convert to curves icon, and you will see four nodes, click on one and break the curve, click on an opposing one, and break, now you can shape the curve to anything you want.

Any probs come back and I'll see if i can help.
BernBennett is offline   Reply With Quote