Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:00 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone could help out with some aperture, ISO, and shutter speed settings.

The scenario: Indoor low light, with flourescent lights somehwat sparsely scattered. I have a Canon 10d. I am photoghraphing speedskaters(like in the Olympics, just not on ice). I am usually anywhere from 30 feet(at first photo) to 5feet (at last photo in burst mode) away from subjects moving at 15-30mph heading towards and slightly to my side.
It's not hard to take one at a time with a flash, but for my purposes I could really use some settings that would work without a flash.

Not to concerned with noise, not going to print them.

Thanx for any info,

Craig

Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:25 PM   #2
Zal

Indoor low light (like in a house) is generally around EV5 or EV6. Indoor sports is usually around EV7, so let's take the conservative approach and say EV6.

You probably want a shutter speed of at least 1/125 or 1/250th. To get 1/250 in an EV6 environment, you'll need f/2.0 at ISO1600. Use that as a starting point, then just use standard exposure rules depending on the situation:

i.e., if your fastest lens is f/2.8, then you'll need to use ISO3200 or drop to 1/125 at ISO1600, etc...

You can see that indoor sports pretty much requires fast glass.
Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:10 AM   #3

Ok, so let's say your maximum ISO is a very noisy 400 and the post-processor (me - that's me in the pic btw) can't NeatImage or NoiseNinja a pic well enough to get a shot like this one (which btw is still a little bit noisy if I wanna be picky, and is not anywhere near sharp enough), your glass is F/3.1 at 380mm telephoto... what do you do in that case when the budget is so limited that even if I took my S1 IS back, I wouldn't even have enough money for just the Rebel or D70 body, and when telephoto performance would like to be retained if not improved on?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2004, 8:32 AM   #4

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so let's say your maximum ISO is a very noisy 400 and the post-processor (me - that's me in the pic btw) can't NeatImage or NoiseNinja a pic well enough to get a shot like this one (which btw is still a little bit noisy if I wanna be picky, and is not anywhere near sharp enough), your glass is F/3.1 at 380mm telephoto... what do you do in that case when the budget is so limited that even if I took my S1 IS back, I wouldn't even have enough money for just the Rebel or D70 body, and when telephoto performance would like to be retained if not improved on?
You either take pictures where there is more available lighting or you use flash. You can't get a silk purse from a sow's ear, as the old saying goes.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2004, 10:04 PM   #5

There are so many problems with this situation it is almost funny. I'm going to assume some photography skill.

We'll pick off the small one first. You might have trouble with focus tracking, because they will be moving so fast and so close to you. This will cause them to whip past you at about...

5280 * 15mph = 79200fph /60 = 1320 fpm / 60 = 22 fps.
they will move at least 22 feet per second. So there is no reasonable way you can take a picture without prefocusing and guessing when they are 5 feet away from you. In one second they will go from 10 feet in front of you to 10 feet after you. You won't be able to track them with the camera accurately at that speed. You will have to do some tests to make sure the 10D can focus track something moving that fast. At least they are large, so that will help. This will limit your lens choice to something which has USM (but you've got other problems with your lens choices.

It sounds like you are able to do it to some extent, so I'd be interested in what lens you currently use.

While I generally agree with Zal's approach, I don't know enough of the Zone system to argue his numbers... so I won't. What I doubt is that 1/125 will give you something which is appealing. You'll get a decent blurry background, but the subject is moving so fast it might be hard to track it for that long in a consistant manor. And you will really need to pan to keep them in the same location in the frame or the picture won't work. So I'd guess that 1/250th is more reasonable. So that means an f2 lens (which there are very few of) or ISO 3200.

You said "Not to concerned with noise, not going to" and you didn't finish the sentence. You need to finish this sentence because the noise at ISO3200 will be so bad I wouldn't consider them useful for much of anything. ISO 1600 on the 10D isn't very useful either (to me.) But I have very high standards.

The f2 limitations is very harsh, though. There just aren't many lenses with that aperture.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:13 AM   #6

I should be able to play with it this week, yeah, it's hard to get this one right because the solution to one problem messes up the one to the others.

What I meant to say in my original post was thattheyweren't meant to be printed so noise wasn't an issue. I'm really only using this for technique critiqueing, so motion blur is and amount of light are my biggest issues.

Focusing really isn't a bug probelm because of where I am sitting depends on what type of shots I am taking. Hard to expalin unless you're a speed skater. lol I've posted this same question in some of Steve's other forums and have recevied what seems like very helpful, and at least very educational information, thanx again:-).

Craig

Hyoctane is offline   Reply With Quote