Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:43 AM   #1
maw

I'm trying to take a picture of a semiconductor integrated circuit wafer (8 inchdiameter thin wafer)and get a good close up of a chip on this wafer. The chip size is about 8mm by 7mm, or about 1/3 inch square. This is silicon and is reflective. I'm looking into off axis diffused lighting. I have a D70 with the18-70mm AFS DX f/3.5-4.5G IF lensand SD800 flash. Any recommendations on lens type and technique are greatly appreciated. BTW if the lens type could be used for other more "normal" applications such as photographing scenes, flowers, insects and other wildlife (people included) that would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:00 AM   #2

Lighting will be a serious issue, as you have already sermised. Unfortunate, I can't help you there. Diffuse lightings seems a reasonable way to go to me.

It sounds to me like you need a true macro lens. Nikon makes some very good ones, as does Sigma. Unfortunately they are not cheap. But their optics are very good. Your depth of field will be very small, but it sounds like you don't need it to be very big. You'll want to get some kind of tripod/mounting system to increase stability and align things so the DOF covers what you want.

A good macro lens will work very well for flowers and insects. It will also do people, as you don't have to use themat "macro" distance. The needs for insects are different then the other things you listed, though. Often you need some working distance from the insect to not scare it away. That means a longer focal length macro lens. The longest I know of is a 180mm macro, but that wouldn't be very good for people shots (at least not portrates) but that works well for things like butterflies (I've done it.) I dout distance matters much for the other things you're doing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:28 AM   #3

Take a look at this idea for lighting:

http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/light_box
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:19 AM   #4
maw

Thanks,

Do you think around a 100mm Macro would be acceptable?

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:20 AM   #5
maw

Thanks,

I might head down to Home Depot this weekend.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:27 AM   #6

I believe the Nikon 100 Macro is a very good lens. It would do everything you want except maybe the insects. For many insects it will work great, for others you might have to get "too close" to get the bug as large as you like.

But the price difference between them is a fair amount (as I recall) so unless you really *need* the extra 80mm for the 180mm macro, I doubt it would be worth the money.

No don't forget that the DOF at that distance will be VERY small. So you'll need a good way to mount the camera and the ability to make find adjustments. Proper camera/subject alignment is crucial to get everything in focus that you want.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote