Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:03 PM   #1

I have been looking at the A1 & A2 but I'm not sure which is the best to buy.

Are the images on the A2 sharper than the A1? I keep hearing the images are softer but isthis just compared to other 8MEG cameras or all images in general?

I have also read that 8MEG cameras suffer more from purple fringing than others, is this present in the A2 or the A1 for that matter?

I have taken a few shots with the A1 which my father lent and I was impressed with the quality of the images. I would like to purchase an A1 or A2 but I'm concerned the image from the A2 won't be as good.

Please could any one out there offer me some advice to help me make my choice.

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:21 PM   #2

1) The A2 produces better pictures than the A1. The A1 has a higher ISO without noise than the A2.

2) The difference is pretty marginal unless you are going to routinely print at bigger than 8x10. After many of the DSLRs are only 6MP and that is really only marginally bigger than 5MP. At 5x7 and below the difference is so minimal that you will have a very hard time seeing it.

3) Softness of the A2 is by design it is a feature not a defect, you can make a few changes (in the menus) and make the pictures more like other camerasbut the soft picture is by default so you can post process and get better pictures. The A2 has memories for these settings so you can have a professional and a "vacation" setting depending on what you are going to shoot.

4) Being 8MP takes more space per picture than 5MP (obvious but it does add to the cost).

5) Of the 8MP wonders the purple fringing of the A2 is the lowest. You will need to try to make it do it. Even on the worst of the cameras it's not as prevalent as some of the sites made out.

6) The first A1s and A2s had QC and Software problems. These seem to be fixed but you will probably need to upgrade the firmware on your A2 right after you buy it.

7) The high resolution EVF is a lot better on the A2 than the A1 (it's not just a gimmic).

8) A lot of info on the Ax is at http://www.pbase.com/mtf_foto_studies/mtf_faq

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. The website looked very good. I think now that I might go for the A2.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:14 PM   #4

I had a choice & chose the A1 due to the sensor size being the same size resulting in the A1 having a less dense (5mp vs 8mp & thus, less noisy) image at the same ISO setting. With the A2, you are going to need to shoot most of your shots at ISO 64 to get close to the same clean image that the A1 shoots at ISO 100.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:49 PM   #5

I think I understand what you are saying. I tried the A1 and I am impressed by how sharp it is. If your saying that the A2 needs to be in a ISO 64 for nice sharp images then I do not see the point in getting the A2 or why it was produced in the first place. I am only just starting out and I'm not sure what to get I like the A1 but I would expect the A2 to be better.

Does anyone else feel that the ISO selection on the A2 would be a problem for the A2 and would I really be better off getting the A1.

At the moment there is not much different in price

Thanks for help.:?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:10 PM   #6

Check out http://www.pbase.com/cameras/minolta/dimage_a2

Take a look at the pictures taken.Look atpictures of the type youwant to take.

Now do the same thing http://www.pbase.com/cameras/minolta/dimage_a1

click on the exif info for those pictures and see if you could withstand a change in ISO (about 1 fstop or 1speed delta). If you can (which most of us can) then it's not a bother.

The ISO 100 pictures are not that noisy and can be cleaned up easily with neat image.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:16 PM   #7

Thanks but those websites did not really help me. on both A1 &A2 some of the images were good and others still looked blurred and not that sharp.

I would like the camera to take good photo's all round but prefere it to take sharp images of movig subjects.:?