Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:17 PM   #1

I have been asked numerous times to make a portfolio of each of the subjects that I tend to take pictures of. But how does one do it? If anybody can help me it would be great, thanks. :-)
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:30 PM   #2

To make a good portfolio, you will need 14-16 perfect pictures. (It means you´ll probably need to shot a hundred to get the perfect ones)

Some tips..
  • 1 pic per model (Dont repeat models)[/*]
  • At least try 3 cloth changes with each model (Swimming suit, informal, night dress)[/*]
  • If you can handle it you will like try more osade pics (Underwear, nudes)[/*]
  • Have at least 3 portraits[/*]
  • Try diffrent things. Try to be different to other photographers[/*]
  • Choose a good portfolio book (yeap a 50$ or more)[/*]
  • Use mate folios[/*]
  • Do big copies, 20x24cm or 24x30cm (i don´t know it measure in inches)[/*]
  • Do mate copies.[/*]
  • Borderless or with white OR black border. (Try to have all similar (wit or without borders))[/*]
  • If you´ll work with models & products, the best is 8 pics of each one.[/*]
  • Update your posrtfolio each 6 month if you can (if you have works, you´ll improve your techniques so new pics will be better than older ones)
[/*]
I hope this works for you!

Bye!
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:15 PM   #3

I wanted to repeat something that jedi mentioned. Make sure the pictures are a good size (what he lists sounds good to me, but I truly don't know. You should ask the people who are asking you to make/provide a portfolio what size they would like!)

This is done not only because the shots will look better that size, it is also because you can't hide bad quality that way. Bad lighting or badly placed DOF can be masked (at least some) by using a smaller print. A larger print shows the quality and puts it in their face. A shot that look good big is good. No question about it.

Also, make the shots at least as big as they would use it. If this is for mag stock, then make them the size of the mag page.

Also, it looks better if all the shots are printed at the same size. This sounds obvious, but you might be tempted to break this rule for convienence.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:33 AM   #4

Man, don't I feel really really stupid. :angry:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I didn't clarify what kind of portfolio that I was asked to do. :angry: So, so, sorry.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It's not really people, I have been asked by manyfor my portfolio in nature, artistic shots, anything that I take pictures of. I had a professional friend of mine ask me if I had a portfolio of what I took pictures of, but it had to be one subject. So, one portfolio of nature, cars, people, etc. So, how do go about doing this?

Again, so so sorry about all the confusion. I'm going to crawl in my little hole now. :sad:
Old Aug 26, 2004, 2:40 PM   #5

well the tips are similar... Copies size... kind of portfolio book... try to not repepat models (cars o trhings).

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6

If its just a question from friends, I'd say what they are really asking for is if you have a collection of photos to show. I wouldn't have used the term "portfolio" if I were asking a fellow photographer that question.. but clearly they didn't know what that term generally means.

Are you trying to make something really good, or just make something that you can show people? If you're going for "really good" then what Jedi says is very true.

If you're just making something that you can carry and show friends, this is what I do. I print everything at 8 1/2 by 11 ('cause that is what my printer can do.) I then went to staples and purchased a 3 ring binder and some clear plastic sleaves. I put the pictures in the sleaves (all facing the same way so I know I rotate counter-clockwise for landscapes shots) and carry them around that way. Does it look good? Well, not particularly. But it works and it was cheap. A step up from that would be to buy a nice binder and then use plastic covered tacky boards like people use in photo albums. These have an advantage (especially if you can get them slightly larger than your pictures) of making the pictures look matted.

If you want it to look professional, then as Jedi says the comments still apply. It doesn't matter if its insects or people, buildings or landscapes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:33 AM   #7

Okay, thanks so much for the info. Yeah, I'm trying to make them look nice since I've had one company ask me and one professional photographer. I'll definitely take what both of you said it sounds like a definite plan. :-)